30 gallon fish options?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

30 gallon fish options?

by Mike0372983

I just want some peoples personal oppinions on what type of fish out of the ones I like are a good choice for a planted tank. Just pick the ones that I like and make a group that would be good for my planted tank. (ex neon tetras, corydoras, guppies)
neon tetras, angelfish, guppies, glowlight tetras, sepae tetras, rainbowfish, freshwater shark, corydoras, amano shrimp, any other tetra, and anyother fish that you like!

This is kind of a random post but just want peoples oppinions...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

okay all of them will do fine, the serpae tetras might nip plants a little though. another good addition to a planted tank is otocinclis, which eats alot of algae to keep your tank pretty. heres what you want to do for a 30 gallon, you should have about 1" of fish for every gallon, then if you want a very healthy and active tank get some bottom dwellers, mid-swimmers, and top-side fish.

personally, i like the regular ole' neon tetras, when you have a good planted tank setup they really are vibrant against the greenery. also what is nice about them is that they dont grow very big so in a 30 gallon you can have quite a few and you can watch them school =).

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

I hacve had a planted tank for a while and I know about the 1 inch per gallon and the algae eaters I just wanted new fish and I wanted some personal oppinions but thanks for the reply:D

faile486

by faile486

Awww...you don't like plecos?

PetEducation.com lists the Siamese Algae Eater as a freshwater shark. From their list, it's the only one that would be comfortable in a 30g tank. It's also peaceful, so it shouldn't bother your other fish!

Siamese Algae Eater - 4"
2 Dwarf Gourmai - 4"
2 Gold Veil Angel - 12"
6 Neon Tetra - 9"

I use two websites when researching fish - peteducation.com listed above, and badmanstropicalfish.com the first one is easier to navigate, and has good general information. The second one frequently goes into more detail.

You'd need to watch the angels for signs of aggression toward the other fish. From what I've read they can be hard to care for, but you seem like you've been doing this for a while ^.^

jweb1369

by jweb1369

i want to eventuallly set up a tank llike takashi amano's. they are soooo pretty.

30 gallon fish options?

5 posts