R/O TOP OFFS EQUAL COLD WATER!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gradyh

by gradyh

hey, everytime i top off my tank with my R/O it cools my tank down like 4 degrees...any suggestions on heating my R/O?

Grady

schigara

by schigara

If you're topping off that much water to affect the temp that much, you should consider topping off more often or setting up an auto top off system.

Your salinity has got to be really unstable.

What size tank is this and how much and often do you top off?

gradyh

by gradyh

The tank im talking about its a nano....(20g) so anything changes it...

faile486

by faile486

Buy a heater? If you're using buckets, leave the R/O and the heater in the bucket for a bit.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i have a 20 long............... i mix my water in a 5 gallon tub i got from walmart and marked it at 1 gallon incriments...............i mix 3 gallons at a time and have a power head and a small heater in it {walmart 7 bucks} and a thermometer............i let my water run for weeks at a time with the lid on......it's always ready to go

Boss

schigara

by schigara

How much evaporation is that 20 getting per day? Do you topoff everyday?

The best thing you could do for overall stability in a Nano is auto top off.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

im runing a large HOB aquaclear 60 {lol takes up half the tank, and it s a 20 long and the other half is a redsea skimmer - - so i have a lot of turbulance at the top ....i add a gallon every 2-3 days . but i like it right at the top, i hate waterfall noise and if i see the water line below the rim of the tank i go insane .......lil ADD are we? lol

Boss

schigara

by schigara

I was the same way before adding the ATO. I was losing anywhere from 1.5 to 3 gallons and sometimes I'd get busy and forget a day or two but with a sump, the level in the display was always the same so I wouldn't notice until the return pump started sucking air and pumping micro bubbles into the display.

The main reason I added the ATO was due to the changes in salinity but the less work for me was very nice too.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

schigara...what ATO do you use and what kinda of resevoir do you have it hooked up to?

schigara

by schigara

My ATO is low tech and gravity fed. I use 2 10g rubbermaid wrapping paper containers that are plumbed together and a Kent float valve in the sump.

No switches to break and no pumps to quit working.

http://www.geocities.com/drcunlimited/R ... ATO_03.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/drcunlimited/R ... ATO_02.jpg

11 posts • Page 1 of 2