Using water change water to setup new tank?

4 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Is it possible to do a water change on an established tank and then use that water to add to a new tank? Will this cycle it faster? It is only a 10 gallon and I want it for a refugium. Oh and it is freshwater if that matters.

miami754

by miami754

You can add it to the new tank, but it won't do a whole lot of good. Very little of the nirtifying bacteria lives in the water. Instead, if you want to cycle your tank fast, move over some gravel, filter pads, decor, rock work, or other of these kind of things. These have a great deal of bacteria on them and will cycle your tank fast (if not instantaneously - assuming you move enough over). Good luck.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I did this with *great* success. However, I transferred the following from my main tank to the new tank: One of the two filters on the main tank and the used filter pad, several artificial plants, several good handfuls of substrate, a few pieces of flagstone, and some used water, although the water doesn't do much.

My new tank was instantly cycled and remained that way. The main tank is a 37 gallon and the new tank is a 20 gallon. They still have the same parameters. Just be sure to not remove so much from the main tank that it gets knocked out of balance.

Zambize

jweb1369

by jweb1369

cool sounds good. its about time for a water change =)

4 posts