how to change tanks.....

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jav36

how to change tanks.....

by jav36

im looking into upgrading my 30 gallon reef to a 67 gallon. the 67 is 48"x12.5"x25" and im planning on putting it on my bureau where my 30 is now.

is this how the swap should be done?

1.take off all the equiptment (filter, skimmer, lighting, etc.)
2.drain water into buckets
3.put livestock into buckets
4.take out rock
5.take tank off the bureau
6.put up the new tank
7. fill it with new sand
8. pour the water back in
9. mix up new water and fill the rest of the tank with it
10. wait for sand to clear up (?)
11. put in rock
12. put in livestock
13. put on equiptment

how does that sound? should i wait for the sand to clear before putting in fish and corals? if i should, how long can they last in the buckets?

thanks

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey Jav36,

I just moved my 100 gallon 3 weeks ago and haven't had any loss of life in my set up. It would probably easier to catch the fish after you take the live rock out, but to take out any of the other livestock before hand and place them in a bucket.

The animals and corals survived for 6 hrs before I placed them into the tank again. I didn't wait until the water completely cleared because I was more afraid of them running out of oxygen. I placed all of the fish and corals into a large igloo and filled it half way with their tank water. If you want , you could place a powerhead in their to provide some flow and oxygen. Anyways, if you haven't transferred the tanks, good luck.

jav36

by jav36

thanks man

jav36

by jav36

i might be running into a problem here....

instead of going with the 67 i might go for a 90. either way i would be using the water in my 30 gallon. if i do this to the 67 it would be 50% filled with the old water and i could just add in the other half with newly mixed water....that would be fine

with the 90, only 33% of the water would be cycled then i would have to add alot of newly mixed water..... would the water be too new to add my corals and fish? would i have to cycle it again or could i start saving the water from water changes and locking it away in big jugs then use it when i am filling the new tank? anyone try somthing like this?

singapore

by singapore

i tried saving water frm water changes....but it didnt end p well. it stinks really bad after a few days. it doesnt even smell like ometing that should go into ur tank. it stunk up a whole level of my house, so i had to dump it.

maybe other people have had different experiences, but that was mine...not so pleasant

how to change tanks.....

5 posts