Plecos in LA park lake

36 posts • Page 3 of 4

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

spraky1413

by spraky1413

My grandma used to live in Ok and she always told us stories of the couch-sized catfish her dad and uncles would catch. That was back before nuclear power

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Dang!!! A 1500 pound catfish. Shoot, you could skin and filet that beast and have a fully stocked deep freezer with a year supply of some good ole fried catfish!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

yea i wouldnt eat any type of catfish or bottom feeder unless i was about to die of starvation. thats like eating junk, because u eat the fish that eats junk, yuck lol. not only that, but i dont think it is healthy to eat. too much parasites or worms i would imagine. those people must have been asian im assuming. Im a saltwater fish guy. Mahi is my favorite.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Wish I had some big fish stories. Sounds pretty interesting down in the depths of some parts. Found a squid skeleton at the beach today. It was all cartilage and kinda cool.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

Jweb......not to gross you out or anything but i have worked in restaurants for almost 10 years but i would much eat a catfish i cought out of some random lake before i ate and comercially farmed, talapia or salmon.....the conditions of thoes fish farms are far worse than any lake or river you might fish out of at home....farm raised salmon have so many new desieses that are unheard of in wild salmon...even wild cought soward fish are prone to worms. it is extreamly common for me when i clean soward fish to cut out a few worms.....

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

chickens will take a crap and turn around and eat it .........................lol ..............i don't eat bottom feeders either but i've tried it and it's good .............just not a fish eater

jweb1369

by jweb1369

yea a1k8t3, that sounds pretty gross as well. i live in panama city, florida. most of the fish we get here is all fresh and locally caught. i am so thankful to have been born in a city that has been well known for fishing since the early-mid 1900's. sadly though, there are now many strict laws and regulations limiting number of fish and size you can keep due to overfishing, so they say. They take the numbers of fish from netting sandy bottom areas. what a joke, fish dont even hang out in sandy bottom areas. There are probably over 300 artificial reefs just in our small local section of the Gulf of Mexico. I know this because i am a diver, and it is just amazing at the huge walls of fish you will see when coming down an anchor line to a ship wreck or what not. anyways, i do not buy fish from any city im visit unless it is known for its own fishing industry or it is from a reputable eating establishment. and most of the time i just eat at home anyways. there are wayyy too many people handling food unsanitarily.

oh and also i forgot to mention if you have fishing poles on your boat visible, our marine patrol are big asses and pull nearly everyone over to check their fish for regulations.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

my dog eats his own crap too...........dont think i will eat him anytime soon though.... :)

gumbii

by gumbii

what about shrimp...??? they are the cockaroaches of the sea... and lobsters... what do you think of they...???

anyways... i will eat anything that lives in water... like i said before... if it's wet, dry it up and cook it up...

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Well personally I wouldn't eat a 650 pound catfish or even a 1,500 pound catfish. I'm originally from Mississippi where they have a lot of catfish farms there. They only breed them to about a pound each and sell them fresh. Downtown Jackson, MS, they even have big catfish statues on every other street block. Check out your local wal-mart and look on the package of Delta Pride Catfish, which is the market leader, and see where it comes from. Interesting article to read, the catfish that we eat that are sold wholesale are fed pellet food and eat from the surface and not from the bottom of a pond or lake somewhere.

http://www.cafemeetingplace.com/archive ... ar2003.htm

The Feed
Besides the improved quality of living conditions, the biggest difference between a farm-raised catfish and its wild cousin is what they eat. Farm-raised catfish are fed a gourmet diet of puffed, high-protein food pellets made from a mixture of soybeans, corn, wheat, vitamins and minerals. These pellets float on top of the ponds and the fish have adapted to feeding on the surface, unlike their wild, bottom-feeding cousins. This feed not only helps in producing a healthier fish, but also a cleaner, milder tasting one.

Plecos in LA park lake

36 posts • Page 3 of 4