the journey begins...again

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

by singapore

just got the salt and some bottles of liquid stuff my lfs chick reccomended to cycle my 55gallon. gahhh im excited!!!

schigara

by schigara

Cool man. It is exciting starting a new tank but personally, I hate the first 6months or so. I don't like a perfectly clean looking system. I love salt creep, calcium buildup on the glass in the sump, coraline growing everywhere and having to scrape coralline from the display panes.

PS. oh yeah, gotta get some pics up for all to see.

gumbii

by gumbii

what chemicals do you guys use...??? like for trace elements, calcium, everyTHEY!!!...

schigara

by schigara

I use Mrs. Wage's pickling lime(limewater or kalwasser) on a drip to maintain calcium and alkalinity and Brightwell's 2 part to occasionally boost calcium and alkalinity. Other than that, there's no trace elements needed that water changes don't provide.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

i wouldnt use any chemicals to cycle a saltwater tank, live rock will get the job done, without liverock your cycle will take forever...chemicals or not

angus4481

by angus4481

i agree with maka, liverock cycles a tank way faster. ive used chems before, they just didnt help in my cycle

6 posts