My lfs gave me some Java Moss

24 posts • Page 1 of 3

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

My lfs gave me a handful of Java Moss because I gave them a few fish. The lfs swears that it should be fine with my tank conditions. I don't really care if it dies, but I read up on it and I read some very mixed reviews. About 2/3 of the people love it, great stuff, everybody should have it. The other 1/3 hate it, won't ever use it again because it infiltrated their tank so bad, grabbing onto decor and filters so tightly that those items had to be thrown out.

More fins to ya' !
Zambize

gumbii

by gumbii

i know it did grow rampant in my tank... but it didn't destroy anything... they're full of aids... it did wrap itself around the driftwood, but it came off easy... why would it destroy decor, or any kind of hardware...???

my fish loved it... especially the betta's... they would chill in it and the tadpoles would munch on it... just put it under something like a rock or some driftwood...

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Yeah, I really want to get some but our LFS's don't carry stuff like that.
I would love for java moss to go crazy in my tank. It can take over my tank anytime it wants. haha I just think it will make it look much more natural.

gumbii

by gumbii

werd... get some from ebay... or ask someone to send you some thru the mail... my moss came from another person's tank... i would never buy plants from a LFS or some type of business...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Thanks for the input. I wrapped some around a rock with some fishing line. The people who were complaining mentioned that it wrapped around the filter so badly that it was hard to clean it. I don't know why the person with the driftwood complained...maybe they decided the didn't want it anymore, or didn't want that much. We'll see....

gumbii

by gumbii

in two months it looked like green spaghetti in that tank... but it's very easy to controll... you'll see...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I was thinking that maybe the people who complained just didn't prune it enough.

Gum - I took your advice and got some silicone (the appropriate kind) and I'm going to create my own caves for my guys. I can't find any retail that are decent.

Zambize

gumbii

by gumbii

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Gum--

I don't come across anything related to reefs or marine setups because I have freshwater and didn't think to look in salt. I've been looking in local stores and online stores for caves. I've had a little bit of success with some fake driftwood that looks realistic and when turned the right way, creates a natural cave or two.

I have some nice shale that I'm planning to stack creating caves, hiding places, etc., and using silicone to make it one unit. Unless this is just a really bad idea...

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I-love-java-moss.....My-100-gallon-has-tonnes-of-it-drifting-in-the-current.

24 posts • Page 1 of 3