What do you do when you go on vacation?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

lighting can cause havoc with algae if not set each day, so i would get a timer, and they are under $10 like gumbii says.... great investment.

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... i ran more cables to other setups yesterday... now every tank, terrarium, rack, and setup is controlled by one major timer... lol... i'm insane...

at 12 in the afternoon EVERYTHING turns on... and at midnight everything turns off... pretty cool... the entire house lights up... except the ponds... the pond lights are solar powered/charged so they turn on when the sun goes down...

milky648

by milky648

Ya i have done this got some one to feed my fish and her frind let her chilid feed my fish., well she dumped the hole bottal of flake food in my 10 gallon all my fish died besides my angel fish wen he still was littel, so wen i go now i clean the tank bevore i go and feed them the night bevore., i also put lettus in my tank they love it and i get some one to check on that also has a fish tank.

milky648

by milky648

Oh and my lights are on a timer its nice couse i leave the house by the time i come back its on and at 430 pm it shuts off its on from 1030 to 430 i cut it back bevore i hade it from 1 pm to 9 pm but then got to mutch algy so this works.

zambize

by zambize

I have a community tank with typical fish. 12 hours?
I have two Betta tanks. They come from such shallow water I'm assuming 12 hours would be good?
I have a Q tank with just a few guppies and since they could survive a supernova I'm assuming 12 hours is also good.
My African Dwarf Frog is in his own 3 gallon and I wonder if he should have less light? He's nocturnal....but maybe 12 hours because I assume they are still naturally exposed to 12 hours a day?

I like the idea of the house lighting up on its own. :) We have a good sized property with tons of different lights including up-lights for trees, path lights, dawn to dusk ones attached to the house near several entrances and it's all really pretty when it all starts to light up as it gets dark. Hmmm, maybe I can warm up to this light timer thing.

Z

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Gumbii.....Won't-your-electric-meter-look-more-and-more-like-you're-growing-weed-with-it-all-going-on-and-off-at-once?

gumbii

by gumbii

lol... the electric company knows i have a bunch of tanks and other pets... i always call to complain when the lights go out... last time i made them bring me a generator...

and the 12 hour light cycle works well for me... i don't get that much brown algae, and i love green algae... so it rockxors my sockxors...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm-surprised-the-electric-company-gives-that-kind-of-personal-service......Right-on.

I-also-use-about-a-12-hour-cycle-going-from-11:00AM-to11:00PM......Works-for-me....The-only-problem-I-have-now-is-a-tiny-bit-of-cyano-bacteria-and-I'll-take-care-of-that-with-a-filter-change-and-bit-of-vacuuming.

What do you do when you go on vacation?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2