New Tank Questions

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

New Tank Questions

by gdeeber

I'm new to reef tanks and I just started a 55 gal tank with 60 lbs live sand 50 lbs live rock and 2 dead coral I had from an old saltwater tank from years ago. My tank is 2 weeks old and I have 2 Emperor 280 bio-wheel filters, 200 watt heater, 10K/460nm Actinic lighting (2x65 watts). My water temp is 78 F, SG 1.025, nitrate 0, calcium 520 mg/L, alkalinity is 8. I have my lights on 12 hrs per day and at night I have moon led's on.

Today I noticed a brown algae forming on the sand and some of the rock. When I purchased the rock it had red color but now it is red and the white parts are turning brown. The question I have is: are my lights on too much or is the brown algae a normal cycle of a new tank? Also I've read that you should not do a water change until the nitrates are 0, but my tank has been at 0 for over a week now. Do I change water? Also I use tap water with a conditioner. I will use R/O water if I can find it at Wal-Mart.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

yeah it is just a normal cycle thing the brown algae are diatoms .... i suggest you get on ro soon it will cut back on the diatoms you get.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks Deltasigpony I will do that.

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

no problem happy to help with the same questions i had at first post some pictures so we can see the tank we all love progression pictures

New Tank Questions

4 posts