Favorite Plants?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Never-heard-of-them,-though-that-doesn't-mean-much.....I'm-the-type-to-stick-with-the-plants-I-like-and-ignore-those-that-don't-grab-my-attention.

spraky1413

by spraky1413

the banana plant looks like... well... bananas

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I just picked up some rotala, narrow leaf red ludwigia, onion plants, and some very tall corkscrew vals for my 18"Wx26"T 30gal. There is also one other plant I forget the name of that I absolutely LOVE. It's a plant not commonly available and ironically as its my favorite, it now looks like its dying. Hopefully it makes a recovery. The moron at the LFS crammed all my plants in one bag including these which have those stems that snap like pretzels. 2 of the clump of 3 luckily didn't get snapped but I bought them without roots and they're not looking too pretty atm. Hoping that will change and also hoping I have enough light.
Maybe if I get the camera batts charged I'll try and get a pic of it. Someone must know what it is.
Something else that requires some high light and Co2 that I'm dying to get is Fissidens Fontanus, or phoenix moss. This crap is freaking great looking in some very nice aquascapes. It's like java moss on steroids, aesthetically speaking. Dwarf Baby Tears are another favorable mention but usually want a little bit of Co2, they'll still grow without it, however.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd-like-to-find-some-Pheonix-moss-too.......I-pocketed-a-few-sprigs-of-Dwarf-baby-tears-and-a-little-floating-peice-of-somthing-else-I-knew-the-store-wouldn't-miss.....I've-bought-a-lot-of-stuff-at-this-store-so-I-do't-feel-guilty...I'll-just-let-the-Baby-tears-multiply-a-bit-as-a-floating-plant-and-then-if-it-grows-I'll-plant-it......I-agree.....It-looks-great.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Ok assuming this link works this is the plant I was talking about that I couldn't remember the name..

http://icedt83.spaces.live.com/photos/c ... 46FF0!149/

The only plant I've been able to find online that closely resembles it is something called Limnophila Hippuroides (which I actually kinda like better than what I've got), but the colors are inverted, red top, green bottom, and the stalks grow a bit different. -.-

Also note the tank isn't even close to being a finalized aquascape, its still cycling, the driftwood is being held down by rocks, and I've yet to pick up the PVC pipe I'm gonna use for cave structure, in place of that stupid fake log which the driftwood is hiding.

Edit: Apparently it won't link to the exact album so just click on the 'New Fish Tank' album. duh. lol

Some others that I looked up yetserday and thought were interesting:
Rotalla Walichii
Red Tiger Lotus***
Cardinal Temple

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Never-seen-it-before......I-have-heard-that-some-of-the-plants-that-require-high-light-and-co2-are-actually-not-true-water-plants.....I-guess-that-means-that-they'll-grow-in-water-if-given-the-right-conditions,-but-that-they're-terrestrial......Don't-know-if-the-plant-you-have-there-is-one-of-those.....Just-an-idea.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah they're usually noted as 'naturally' emersed or submersed. This plant has very tender stalks, and in general seems like a naturally submersed plant. It's holding color which is a good sign, I guess It'll be awhile before it adjusts to things in the new tank. It was bagged for over 24 hrs. The LFS I purchased them from had a full emersed section, some of which could be partially submersed, or as you say under the right conditions fully submersed, much like something called Mondo grass. You see it at your Olive Garden, your MCD's, your Ruby Tuesdays...but it can pop up in your aquarium too. The mondo in my 5gal looks terrible so that leads me to believe I'm not treating it right. -.- There's also many plants that will only flower when partially submersed.

Favorite Plants?

17 posts • Page 2 of 2