I'm new at this....any suggestions?

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Nikisfish

by Nikisfish

Hi everyone. I just found and joined this site tonight. I plan on becoming a regular here since I am already totally consumed in this aquarium idea. Yet another thing for me to get addicted too! I have been researching non stop for the past couples days. This is by far the most informative site I have found and the people seem great too :)

I am planning on buying a 10 gallon starter kit this weekend and I was just wondering if any of you could give me any words of wisdom as this will be my first aquarium. So far I know its going to be a freshwater tank with community fish and black gravel. I'm thinking either black or blue background as well. I'm not sure what kind if fish I want to start out with, or how many is too many. Wish I could get a bigger tank, but for now the 10 gallon will have to do.

Anyway, just thought i'd see if any of you have any advice for me. I look forward to your input!

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I would say go with a bigger tank. Once you get completely enveloped by this hobby you are going to want tank after tank after tank, and a 10 gallon won't satisfy you for but a week. However, there are many 10 gallon tanks that look amazing. The key to it is a lot of research and knowledge. Make sure you buy only stuff that you know you want. If you are iffy on something as this will happen often, just wait and think about it. Feel free to ask everyone here any questions or state concerns.

Now for the tank, you MUST know what kind of fish you want before you start to buy stuff to set it up. Once you figure that out, then it is easier for someone to help you and healthier for the fish because if you buy things specific to them they will feel more comfortable in the tank.

After you decide for sure what kind of fish you want, buy and set up the tank, make sure water is treated (I use stress coat it treats chlorines as well as treats the fish with aloe vera for their fins). Set that stuff up and then let it cycle for about 6 weeks if nothing is added to speed up the cycling process. What I mean is you can buy plants, additives, etc. to get the cycling process speeded up and doing so will reduce time to maybe a few weeks. While you are waiting you shouldn't be waiting you should be researching all the fish you want. Find out what substrate (gravel or sand) they like, the pH they prefer, water hardness, all that stuff so you can make sure your water parameters meet or atleast come close to what is ideal for the specific fish.

When you find out what kinda fish you want let us know! =)

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i have a 20 gallon with EVERYTHING included if you live in the san fernando valley or are willing to drive there. Give me your best offer :) Oh, and you can see it all in my profile.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Hey! I have a 60 gallon with cabinet, UG filters and stuff, and it's in the Sanfernando Valley too waiting for pretty much any offer! It's kinda in the way.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Tilapia are kinda fun. I know they are food fish for many people and will grow out of most peoples tanks, but they have fun breeding rituals and are very animated. I'm kind of stupid as I breed these things and end up dumping them back into the lake I got the ancesters from. Nobody wants them as they are a bit gluttonous and can yuk up the water but I enjoy having a tank with like 40 4 inch juviniles and they all go nuts and chase me around hoping I'll drop in some food. I also like to put my fingers in and have them all niping at them.

The breeding aspect is really interesting. The female holds fry (babies) in her mouth for protection and lets them out when she feels it's safe. I usually remove the male when she's holding and that is enough to have her let her guard down and release a cloud of babies. The parents dig deep holes in the gravel too, and that's where they herd the babies.

I go to the local lake where people are catching them with fishing poles to eat and it's funny to be dumping bucket loads of them at the same time.

Welcome to the forum.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

hmm what you think that would cost to ship peter?

faile486

by faile486

Niki, I'd try to find a good deal on a larger tank - either on the forum, or on craigslist/ebay if no one here is local to you. I got a 120g tank with everything, plus an additional 10g tank and fish for just slightly more than a 10g kit from petsmart. After I sold the fish to a LFS, I got the 120 and 10g tanks with everything for LESS than a 10g kit. $200 for everything - $60 that I sold the fish for. No tax either.

Unless you have size/weight restrictions I would seriously consider getting a larger tank to start out with, as they are more forgiving to common mistakes.

Welcome to the forums!

Nikisfish

by Nikisfish

Thanks for all your comments! To answer those of you selling your tanks, I live in Maryland so that's out of the question. I did check out Craigs list for my area today and I didn't see much I was interested in. Well I saw one, but the tank looked pretty gross. I'll have to stick to the smaller tank for now. I don't have much room to work with any how. However, I did do a lil tiny upgrade since I found a 14 gallon tank for a little bit more then the 10 gallon. I'd love to have a huge tank, but that will have to wait until I have my own place. I'm limited to one nice sized bedroom for now. I was actually just telling my bf that when I move i'm gonna get a bunch of tanks. I want some saltwater fish someday!!! I think i'm becoming obsessed, but the bf did say I need to find a hobby.....well I may have found it :)

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Good, this hobby is one that has something to show for it. My other hobby is beer drinking, and it has nothing to show but a kick in the head in the morning.

Nikisfish

by Nikisfish

LOL @ Jweb! My other "hobbies" are not much better!

So I have finally come to somewhat of a conclusion on what fish I want. Betta (male), Fancy guppies, Glowfish, and African dwarf frog. Will these get along well? I'm a lil worried about putting a betta with the fancy guppies cause they fancy guppy tails could be confusing to the betta. From what I have read they should get along, but I'm no expert so I thought I'd ask....

Oh, and I want an algea eater, but I hear that some of them can actually harm your other fish. Is that true?

15 posts • Page 1 of 2