Could someone help me out?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I posted a question a few days ago about coral and some weird bright green things growing on my rocks. I took pictures of them and they have been approved so now you can see them. I am wondering if I have Button Polyp coral on my live rock. They are brown and blend in with my rock but they do react if I touch them. Also some strange bright green things are growing on my rocks and they seem to be multiplying. Are they good or bad?

schigara

by schigara

I think the green things are tube worms which are good to have. Do they have little feather looking things coming out of the tubes?

The brown polyp things sound like Aiptasia(glass anemones) which are bad. They spread quickly and can sting coral. Are they transparent?

PS. I just noticed the polyp in the pic. It looks like a brown button polyp which is not bad.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks schigara. The bright green things look like a bean sprout with no leafs, I do have the tube things with little feather dusters coming out of the top.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

gdeeber,is there a duster sticking out of the tube? i think the green thing is a type of algae, i will try to find the name of it for you. my lfs has a few thing that look just like that.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

hear is the name of it,
neomeris annulata

schigara

by schigara

Wow. That is some cool looking macro. I have never seen any before.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/annulata.html

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

nice find on the photo i was trying to find a good one to post but i guess i could stop now. i have also never seen one that full before.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Thanks for all your help. It looks like you've identified all the thinks I didn't know existed in my tank.

8 posts