Reservoir tank for water changes?

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dnimidej

by dnimidej

Hello,i have a 55 gallon tank and i am curious about having a reservoir tank set up with a heater/air pump with 10 gallons of water for easy and convienant water changes,my concern is, by letting the water sit in the reservoir tank between weekly water changes, will the waters parameters be affected from sitting there for a week? will the p.h/hardeness drop.? will it have and affect on the actual tank water/fish.?

the hole reason behing this is i hate trying to get the water temp to the tank temp. its frustrating adding/removing cold/hot water, untill its right. a reservoir tank with ready to go water makes things easier.Any suggestions?

Any help=thanks alot.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Other people may feel differently, but I don't think that a small change in temperature is going to hurt your fish regardless of what you have. If you're doing a 30% water change the water you put in will be balanced toward the temp of the tank water and the substraight, etc. In a lake and even in a stream there are pretty big differences in temp from the top to the bottom, so fish aren't that sensitive. It's different when you put a fish that has been in a bag directly into the tank. That is a big temp change, and the fish is stressed for other reasons such as the PH difference, ammonia, nitrites and hardness. I guess if your tap or well water is really really alkaline or something it may help to have a reservoir so you can get the water right, and I really don't know how good the new water conditioners are at neutralizing chlorines and chloralamines and time sitting post conditioner treatment might be good for removing those chemicals. I don't think a tank made of a non corrosive material holding water over time is going to change the water chemistry if you do go that way, and my thoughts are that it's overkill. I think that by getting tap water to within the ballpark temp with your finger and by adding conditioner you'll be fine.

2 posts