cichilds

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

cichilds

by Mike0372983

I am wondering on what kind of species of fish and a new style I can do for my new aquarium. My choices are planted or cichilds. I am preety sure I am goign nto get the cichilkds but I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas? If you know anything about cichilds can you tell me?

yahboycash

Re: cichilds

by yahboycash

First decided if you want to go with african or new world cichlids (I prefer new world). Next is matching the right fish I suggest you start off with some commonly found cichlids such as convicts, jack dempseys, and oscars. If going for a community tank make sure that the oscars are larger than the jack, and the convict. You may also want to get a couple of catfish. Cichlids are messy eaters and the catfish will help keep your tank clean. Next step depending on the size of the tank is adding a few more fish (a good rule of thumb you can have on inch of fish per gallon example 55 gallons 55 inch of fish ). Cichlids are territorial so when adding new fish rearrange your tank this will confuse the fish and give your new fish time to settle( I also like to give my fish feeder fish thus giving them something to chase other than my new fish). Make sure you have plenty of hiding places cichlids love plants and caves to hide in. Do a partial water change once a week (approx. 1/3 of the water) don't forget to add the stress coat and you should be fine.

Mike0372983

Re: cichilds

by Mike0372983

umm i was reading somewhere about cichilds and it said something like you need an HP controller or something like that?

subymanny04

by subymanny04

u need a PH controller for cichlids or a PH test kit and some pH + or pH - addative

cichilds

4 posts