update

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jeff

update

by jeff

Its been a while since I've been this site....I have a 30 gal tank with a penguin bio filter and a seaclone pro tien skimmer. I have 20 lbs of live rock that is amazing.( from the tropicorium in michgan). My lighting is only a power glo 18000 k and a 18 watt marine glo light. Its been running for about 8 weeks and already I think that my snails may have laid eggs(clear net looking substance with white dots in it)I haave found a grey crab the size of a dime and a white one the size of a pin head. I had a polyp but it took off somewhere.I have a green cluster of polyps growing and also a featherduster,and a small seaspong. This hobby is amazing and I getso much enjoyment its crazy. Even a night time I sit there with a led flashlight and check out all the cool things starting on the rocks.. Tonight I saw a half inch ling creacher with about 50 legs on it (like a millapede,any ideas what it is

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Could be a bristle worm?

Pasfur

by Pasfur

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Looking at the picture of your tank, i see a few changes that will make a huge difference long term.

First, remove your Penguin completely. It is not improving water quality. In fact, it is degrading the quality of your water. Here is why. Your live rock acts as a natural biological filter, and if much more efficient at converting ammonia and nitrites. In addition, live rock and aragonite sand will work together to provide denitrification, converting Nitrate into Nitrogen Gas, completely the biological cycle. Your Penguin does not have this ability. It is a Nitrate factory, pumping Nitrates into your aquarium non stop.

On this subject, to achieve proper denitrification, you need to have a minimum of 3'' of aragonite sand. Any less and your substrate will not be deep enough to form the low oxygen layers necessary for the bacteria to grow which are responsible for churning NItrates into Nitrogen Gas. Check out my profile pic. My system is very similar in size to yours and my Nitrates test zero every week. The sand depth is the key.

Finally, I must compliment you on your choice of a skimmer. The skimmer removes organic waste directly from the aquarium. The use of the skimmer is the single biggest factor for long term marine success. Stability is the key in a marine environment, and the skimmer will help keep alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium stable by reducing the breakdown of organics. As a side effect, the skimmer helps reduce natural phosphate buildups and helps stabilize pH.

schigara

by schigara

Pasfur,

WTF are you smoking? A foam fractioner/protien skimmer has no direct or indirect effect on the level of calcium, alkalinity or magnesium.

Skimmers can and do have a direct effect over nitrates, phosphates, dissolved O2 and PH.

Please quote an author with a link that supports your claim that protein skimming affects ca, alk and mag.

There is already way too much mis-information in this hobby.

I think you need to spend a few hours/days reading the water chemistry forum at Reef Central and especially posts and articles by Randy Holmes Farley Phd.

As far as stabilizing PH and maintaining CA and alk, do you even know what calcium hydroxide is?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

.........okay......this doesnt make any since.......schigara ur right.....he completly threw me off here. Part of this statement didnt make any since to me..........the power filters being a nitrate factury........I will agree on that one completly! IF YOU CAN........a refugium is the best means of filtration...........in my eyes.......Its natural, no chemicals, and you the best nutrient exporter thought of by God.........algae and mangroves. It works amazingly. I would like to say...after using a refugium.......I will never use another power filter or canister. I test for nitrates every other week.......because i KNOW they are at 0. Since I introduced my refugium, within a week my nitrates never went over 5ppm, I have 15 gallons of water in the refuge on a 29 gallon tank........its a balancing act, now.......with the protein skimmer........never heard that one. I can see where skimming may effect your calcium........if you add it incorrectly. I poured some powdered calcium in the other day next to the skimmer......and it came right out the top, but that was due to incorrect use. Besides..........if you use a DECENT salt, there isnt a huge need for supplements anyways.H2Ocean is a salt mix that has EVERYthing and I swear by it! Its expensive........but when you add all your additives in.......it pays to get it, plus its less headache. Honestly what other salt mix boats a calcium level of 440 out of the bag...and a carbonate hardness of 9.3. Cant ask for better!

update

5 posts