Is two 1200gph Hydro Koralia too much flow for my tank?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I noticed that a few of the old powerheads in my system were getting a little weak because I noticed a lot of algae growing in certain spots in my tank. I bought two 1200 gph Hydro Koralia's for my 100 gallon from Marinedepot yesterday. I was going to replace two of the 4 powerheads that I have in there. Is there such thing as having too much flow? I heard the more the better:)

snowboss

by snowboss

the koralias are a different kind of flow - -a standard power head is more like a jet and the K is a prooeller in a cage and is very dispersed flow

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey Snowboss,

Thanks for the info. Should I place the Koralias in the back and leave the two powerheads in the front. What would you recommend?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

100 gallons a big tank......i don't like to see equipment in my tank but it's unavoidable in smaller tanks............my suggestion would be to bury the wire in the substrate and face the Koralias from the bottom front faceing into the tank center somewhat..then put some rock around them so you can't see em from the front of the tank and leave the standard power heads at the top back faceing forward to kinda roll the water foward and down to the koralias...............just a thought

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Koralia= Best powerheads ever thought of!
I have a Koralia 2 in my 29 gallon............not too much. :) 600 gph plus the return pumps 450 after the head I have tons of flow which is key. Look for your tank to turn from 10-20 times an hour. :)

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey fihsboy,

I heard a lot of good things about the Koralia's and I received the two powerheads yesterday. I'm planning on installing them today. Thanks for the info and I hope my tank likes the new additions

newbie916

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Keep us updated. :) Just watch for aiptasia in those powerheads..........I had a few on some rocks and they got in my powerheads............I must have pulled 50 or 60 out of one of my powerheads. Just make sure you watch for that, thats my only complaint on them. :)

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey fihsboy,

I definitely understand, when you're talking about aiptasia. I bought 4 peppermint shrimps to take care of those damn things. I still have a major problem and there are still a lot of them. Hopefully, the shrimps could take care of them. I probably have a few hundred in my tank right now. I'll make sure to watch my powerheads.

Thx

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I (had) two in my tank taking care of my problem and then one of them decided he wanted to eat my purple zoanthild........which are hard as anything to find and very expensive, or so im told. Well.......it spent 45 bucks on three little polyps and the shrimp ate two.........im praying this last one will come out and live. BUT notice I said HAD two shrimp........neadless to say I was so lets say angry that instead of selling the shrimp........the other fish got a meal. I think he might have been a camelback in disquise......he was munchin my corals.........so he became a meal. Ohh well. :)

edub6307

by edub6307

get a SCWD and hook it up to a 1,000 GPH pump!!

10 posts