sump qustion

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jav36

sump qustion

by jav36

when i upgrade my tank to a 75 gallon im going to be using my 30 gallon as a sump. ive already made a design of what the acrylic chambers will look like but im not sure how to make sure the overflow and the return pump are going at equal rates so the sump doesnt overflow? also what is a good return pump i could use? what do they usually go for?

gumbii

by gumbii

the sump never overflows... the overflow box should stop syphoning water at a certain level in your tank... that way you only get about 10-20 gallons going into your sump when the lights go out... and that's your margine of evaporation as well...

fihsboy

by fihsboy

As long as your flow from your sump to your tank has a hole somewhere to break siphon you will be fine. :)

jav36

by jav36

ok will a mag 7 pump work as a return pump? anyone have luck with any other return pumps?

schigara

by schigara

A mag7 will work but will probably be undersized. When sizing a return pump, you're looking for a pump that will come close to what your tank overflow can handle minus about 100gph. If your overflow can drain 1100gph, then you figure how high the pump will have to bring water up to the tank to figure the head pressure. With the head height, now you can figure the size pump.

Most people with tanks with a single overflow will use a mag 9.5 or 12. If your overflow drain pipe is 1" or larger, you will want a Mag 9.5.

I use a Mag 12 on my 75g. My pipe T's off from the return pump with a gate valve to also supply the refugium.

The mag 7 will work but the 9.5 would do a better job of keeping up with the overflow.

Overflowing the sump is determined by the water that drains off the overflow and return lines from the display tank when the pump is off. Usually the teeth of the overflow are only about an inch tall so you know at least an inch of water from the display will drain off. The other consideration is the loc-line that is directing return flow. These need to have anti-siphons or be angled to where they won't keep siphoning past the point where the overflow quits draining.

sump qustion

5 posts