Need help with Aqua-Clear 500 filter

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

This filter has a big rectangular-shaped sponge that is about 6 inches thick and then the carbon bag sits on top of that inside the filter. A lid goes over all of it. Lately, the sponge keeps rising from the bottom of the inside of the filter, pushing the carbon bag up and makes the lid come off the filter. I push all of it down in place, but it keeps rising up. I took the filter off, drained the water from inside, and placed the sponge and carbon bag back down to the bottom. The lid still comes off from the sponge rising up. Any ideas on how to keep the sponge and carbon bag in the filter without rising up trying to leave the filter?

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I believe theres one more component to that type of filter. Are you sure you've got each part and in the correct size? Lately (well in the last 10 years...) they've changed things around a bit....

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I just bought this filter about 2 or 3 months ago. It is just a black square hang-on filter, inside has a gray plastic frame the width of the filter with 2 notches for the sponge to fit under, then 2 more notches the carbon fits under. The water sucks up through the pipe, goes under the sponge and carbon bag, then flows over the carbon and out the water opening.

It didn't do this when I first hooked it up, but after I did a water change and the filter got empty and then refilled again, now the sponge rises up and tries to float out of the filter when it is supposed to lie flat on the bottom with the carbon bag lying flat on top of that.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Hm...mine seems to be the same idea just a smaller version and i tried to gently lift the sponge up in mine to see what would happen but it wouldnt come...for some reason its stuck there on little picky things in the frame it looks like. But every time the filter is empty (say for cleaning or whatever) I usually fill it up before I turn it on so theres no air in it...do you do it that way too or just kinda let it fill itself up?

OR...Im wondering if maybe theres a sponge available one size larger that would squeeze in there tighter so as not to float up even with a bit of air in it...maybe?

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I didn't realize it was empty after I changed it. I hit the power surge strip and everything cut off at the same time while I cleaned the tank, then flipped the switch and heard the filter gargling trying to get water, then I filled it up quick, but I think I was too late.

The plastic frame the sponge sits in with the little spike things is about 1/4-inch from the bottom, you think maybe just totally take the filter off, drain the water and the water trapped under the plastic frame the sponge is on, maybe that little bit of water is pushing everything up? I'll have to tackle it tomorrow, I have a headache and eye strain from editing all night. Let you know what I find out. Thank you for your help.

russ531

by russ531

Hi Sumthing Fishy (and neighbor-I live in downtown Buffalo). I experience the same problem with my filter occasionally. One side of the plastic frame will start to rise while the other stays put-for no appearent reason. This is usually accompanied with some noise from the filter, which always runs quietly.

I usually end up taking the whole filter apart with the next water change and re-aline everything. Before I start it back up, I fill the whole filter up with water from the tank and then plug it back in and it runs silently (until the next time!), but I have experienced the problem only a handful of times.

Hopefully this helps or, at least, puts your mind at ease that you are not the only one.

Hope to have pics up soon-just got to get around to resizing some so that I can post them

faile486

by faile486

This wouldn't really fix the rising problem, but could you could use scotch tape to hold the filter lid on? At least that way you wouldn't be facing a potential mess.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Maybe the sponge is holding some air when you place it back in try submersing it and squeezing all the air out or just pressing it all firmly to the bottom allowing all the air to escape. Just a thought, probly wrong.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Howdy Russ - neighbor. That is exactly what it is doing. Only one side of the plastic frame inside the filter rises up so that the sponge and carbon bag rise up only on the right side (facing me). It is making a little noise right now. I will do just what you said and let you know how it goes.

Tm, I'll squeeze the sponge down once I take the filter apart and see if it stays put. I thought of that too, but I took the sponge out, squeezed the water out and put it back inside the filter without water. Then when I added water to the filter, I didn't squeeze and press the sponge down or it was too heavy for me to push it all the way down with the water underneath it without breaking something. I'll have to try that first before taking the filter down, just took it down last week with a water change.

Faile, the scotch tape would probably keep the lid on it until the taped popped from all the pressure of the water going through the filter, but with the sponge and carbon bag up on one side, the water isn't filtering the way it should.

Thanks for the help all... let you know how it goes.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

they sell a 3rd stage filtration that is new for the aquaclear's. I have a aquaclear 150 and 200. Anyways, the 3rd stage filtration is called Bio-filter. go buy that and it oughta put some weight on it. Furthermore, If the carbon bag has air in it, then it will float. Squeeze the air out, and also check the sponge and squeeze air bubbles out. I hope that was helpful... Oh and if push comes to shove just tape the top down, haha.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2