the sea weed is taking over

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

pope_madness

by pope_madness

the green is taking over in my tank bubble colurpa and one more i dont know what it is but the stuff will not stop growing i have a sail fin tang turbo snails and lots of other things working on it but it will not go a way please tll me what to do

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

cut your whie lights down considerably for while , run R/O water if your not, lighten up the feeding, do 10% water changes every 3 days or so useing R/O water, blow the crap off everything daily with a turkey baster and let the filter clean it up and double up on your regular monthly fiter maint,

how old is the tank?

Lol, Humboldt? i used to live in Humboldt Kansas

Boss

pope_madness

by pope_madness

seven months no no its humboldt co . california

gumbii

by gumbii

emeral crap will get the bubble and other green algae in check... there are some other invertibrae that munch on that stuff...

schigara

by schigara

Like Boss said,

A good cleanup crew, shorter photo period, less food, RO/DI water and water changes will help but if the stuff is everywhere and taking over, it will take a long time to get rid of it without using a phosphate binding media.

Phosphates are what fuels hair algae. They are like gas for a fire. You need to remove or seriously reduce the source of the phosphates for sure but to get rid of the hair algae quickly, buy a phosphate reactor and run grannular ferric oxide media in it as well as doing all the things Boss mentioned. The hair will be gone in 3-5 days.

Good media to use in reactor. Rowaphos or Pura Phosloc. Bad media=Phosban!

5 posts