HELP!!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

edub6307

HELP!!!

by edub6307

This aquarium thing is getting me stressed!!
I have a few questions!! someone please anwser me!!

First: Would I be ok if I just had a Wet/dry filter on a FOWLR aquarium? (no other filters!....just protein skimmer!)

Second: On overflow boxes it says GPH. My pump I want to use is 581 GPH, does that mean I need a overflow box with the max GPH above 581?

and Third: Would I be ok If I add live rock little by little untill I have all I want?

I think thats all I need!!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

first of all ....take a deep breath .......lol.... this is supposed to be fun. I know right where your at man, but it gets better, i promise

if i remember right you have a 29 gal tnk correct? rule of thumb is filter at least twice the capacity of your tank more is better, im runing a filter rated for a 60 gal tank on my 20 {so thats 3 times the capacity} if you want to measure gallons per hour then shoot for 3-4 times the capacity per hour 5-6 is better {so a return pump of 580 gph return is plenty for a 30 gal tank}

now as far as overflows go ......lol..... i don't have one right now , but have studied and read a lot on them and IMO i wouldn't ue one with it being driled or haveing an anti syphon pump on it of some sort - it just seems to risky to me in power outages.

live rock is fine to add, make sure it's cycled before adding it - -you havn't mentioned power heads . . .you are definately going to ned at least one in there to keep dead spots to a minimum .....................good luck

Boss

newbie916

by newbie916

Snowboss is correct about the flow in your tank. I had four powerheads that came with my system and they were about a year and a half old. I noticed the flow reduced over the past few weeks and my nitrates and algae growth went out of control. I spent 6 hours last night cleaning the sand and re-placing the rocks. Make sure as you add live rock you don't place it on top of the sand cuz it causes dead spots underneath and will cause your nitrates to go through the roof. Make sure you sift the sand forward and place the rock at the bottom of the tank and let your powerheads blow the sand naturally around the rock. This will decrease the dead spots. Found this out yesterday and hopefully you don't make the same mistake I did. I ended up buying two 1200 gph Hydro Koralia powerheads at Marinedepot.com last night to increase my flow. Hopefully, I won't have to do water changes every 3-5 days. I heard this is a fun and relaxing hobby. I got the fun part down, but the relaxing part I'm still working on :) Good luck

newbie916

EDUB1152

by EDUB1152

could I just have a sump set up with 2 power filters in it, a heater, and a protein skimmer?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

HOB filters in the sump? if yes .......that really doesn't make much sense, if your going to go to the risk of a syphon system i would go with the full sump and get the benifiets of it , google DIY sumps, there are tons of sump design optios out there to use, other wise keep the HOB filters in the tank and add a HOB skimmer and you'll be fine until your ready to do something different

Boss

EDUB1152

by EDUB1152

Your a early bird too? huh!!
lol

Well what If I do this.... Setup a sump (10gallon) and put two power filters, 1 protein skimmer, heater, and hook up a SCWD.

Then buy a Back-Pak Wet/dry filter!!

Then I'll be good, right?

gumbii

by gumbii

i had to learn the hardway about overflows... get an overflow box that is rated higher than your return pump... well... i have to add more piping to my system... pics coming soon...

HELP!!!

7 posts