Question...

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

edub6307

Question...

by edub6307

Do you need to have a wet/dry or a sump on a FOWLR aquarium.

Mines a 29 gallon!

I have 2 power filters, and 1 Canister filter. Is that enough??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

HOLY CRAP YES. I have a 29 gallon and I dont even run a per say filter. I did.........I ran a Hagen 50 HOB it got gloged a lot and just made a bunch of nitrates.......drove me crazy. Invest in the Berlin Sump Method.....I have tried this a HOB filter and a canister filter......The Berlin Sump is the best by far. Once you have an established sump with algae and live sand there is NO work. Thats the best part. You still have water changes..........but with your sump thats 10 times easier too. Ditch the filters and invest in a sump. Depending on your filters now......your probably fine........but it sounds like a little much to me. Do you have a protein skimmer?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

agree ....you need to be running a skimmer ..........i run a whisper 60 on my 20 gallon and Koralia power head with a red sea skimmer and it runs smooth, i clean the filter every 4-6 weeks and the skimmer every 2-3 weeks..................sumps are probably better, but in my case a 55.00 filter is just fine compared to a couple hundred for a nice sump.......and i don't have the room for a sump wih this set up........im getting a 65 set up soon and it has a sump ............

you could probably add a skimmer and drop one of the power filters and be fine for now, depending on your bio load, but like i said sumps a great if you can pull it off

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Boss your soo right.....skimmer is pretty much the most important piece of equipment....I ran my tank two months without one and when I hooked it up I pulled about a gallon and a half of crud out of my tank within 48 hours. Best investment you can make!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

EDUB,

Check this system out................i don't have it right now but I plan on getting one for my next tank {soon to add a 65 gallon, to the stables, lol}

In my life ...if something can go wrong...........it probably will, LOL thats why i like the looks of this system, no flooding , self priming, easy to service, all equipment in one place and the top off too..............can it get better??? LOL
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16747

Boss

Question...

5 posts