Finally my fish wish list is done and am fully stocked

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

The owner of one of my LFS's PM'ed me yesterday and said he had a juvenile Potters and Ornate leopard Wrasse that was coming out of QT into the sale tanks.

I have had a Bipartitus Leopard for 6 months and have been waiting for one of these other Leopards to become available for 3 months.

I can't wait until he matures and can get some good pictures of his adult colors.

This is a strange feeling. As far as bioload is concerned, I am understocked but I have all the fish I want for this tank/system.

schigara

by schigara

I did get the Ornate Leopard Wrasse and was finally able to get a shot of him yesterday.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/enlarge.php/20095

snowboss

by snowboss

he's a pretty boy...............................

Nice shot

newbie916

by newbie916

Really nice. It's the first time I saw your set up and you definitely know what your doing. Thanks for all of your advice. Keep us updated on how the little guy acclimates.

newbie 916

schigara

by schigara

Thanks newbie916. I really appreciate your comments.

What's the 916 in your name for? Would it be in reference to a Ducati 916?

The Ornate has been in the tank for 7 days now. The other Leopard pestered him for about 4 days but they are now buddy buddy. He is eating very well and is quite well adjusted so far.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey Schigara,

It's definitely a lot of commitment, hardwork, and passion that you put into your reef. I appreciate all of the advice because everyone told me how difficult this hobby could be. My little guy loves the tank and I think it will be an excellent educational piece for him as he gets older.

The 916 is my area code, couldn't think of anything cooler. Unfortunately, I'm not really into motorcycles. I grew up with too many horror stories because my Dad is an anesthesiologist at the local hospital. One of his duties is trauma cases. However, I do like nice cars and most of my clients and friends drive Porche's, Corvette's, Maserati's, M3's and Lamborghini's. Great group of guys. They took me out on the track for the first time a few weekends ago. First time in a Porche Carrera 4S going 140 mph. It's a rush!! Most of them want bike's, but their wives make them stick with cars. :) I thought this hobby was expensive!! They keep bugging me about buying a sports car, but I think I'll stick to reefing for now. Do you ride a Ducati?

A few of the surgeons are setting up reef systems and will probably join us shortly. I heard reefing is relaxing once you get your tank in order :) One of my friends had a 30 gallon reef system, while he was in residency. He always talks about how he hated getting rid of the system when he moved from Chicago to Cal. I'm going to help him set up a new system in a few months once he moves into his new house.

Bye the way, I took out the bio-balls from my sump and put a good size ball of Chaeto in my tank until I get my refugium up this weekend. I hope the 125lbs of live rock and 100 lbs of live sand have enough beni bacteria to sustain the system. I also put one of those filter pads in my sump that's suppose to reduce nitrates.

I'm glad your Ornate and Leopard are getting along. It sounds like they are pretty happy. Keep me updated.

Thanks,
newbie916

schigara

by schigara

Newbie916,

That's very cool your son can enjoy and learn from the reef experience. I don't have children yet but my nieces and very young cousins just love my tank. When they come over, they just ask question after question and stare at the tank the whole time.

Motorcycles aren't for everyone but I couldn't live without one. I have been riding dirt since I was 9 and street since I was 16 so it's firmly ingrained in my soul. I am 34 now. I don't ride a Ducati but I have ridden them and like them. My current ride is a 2001 Aprilia RSV1000 which is an Italian Vtwin superbike and considered by most to be superior to the Ducati. It's very light and can easily pull the front wheel up in 3rd gear with a quick roll of the throttle and a slitght tug on the bars but I don't like the handling.

My favorite bike of all time is the 96-03 Kawasaki ZX7-R Ninja. Its a heavy bike but the handling is awesome and I am looking for another one now.

My ex fiance and best friend for 18 years is a trauma nurse at the Med here in Memphis and is always telling me the horror stories of the bike crash victims and I have ridden with a few guys that are no longer with us but it has never had an influence on m y love of riding other than making me even more aware and cautious. At least once a week, riding every day, a car will pull into my lane when I am next to it or pull out out in front of me, like I wasn't there! It's all just part of the experience.

I have never been one for stunting but I have done a ton of minor stoppies(nose wheelies) under extreme braking to avoid people that have pulled out in my path. Talk about a rush..........an inadvertent nose wheelie will get the old heart a pumpin'!

You can see my Aprilia in the link below and some of my other restoration jobs and projects.
http://www.schigara.smugmug.com/

newbie916

by newbie916

Schigara,

My son (Christian) just turned one last weekend and we have a second one on the way due in Feb. Another one of the reasons why my wife doesn't want me to get a motorcycle or track car. It's been really nice watching Christian get excited about his two fish tanks. He's watching Finding Nemo a lot and loves to spend a few minutes in the morning watching me feed the tank, while he's enjoying his morning bottle. It's definitely an eye opening experience watching little ones looking at things in ways that we often take for granted as we get older. The smallest things fascinate him and I look forward to all of the questions he will have later when he starts talking. Now he just starts laughing and babbling and wanting to touch the glass. I'm sure your nieces and cousins also put things in a different perspective.

I checked out your picks and the restoration projects. I especially like the 86' 944 turbo. My Dad gave me his 85' 944 after I won a bet in high school. He promised to buy me a new car if I was able to get straight A's for two years. Instead of buying me a new car, he gave me his Porche. Not a bad deal for a 16 year old :) I gave it back to him after I graduated college because it was his first sports car he bought after he started practicing medicine. It's in prestine condition because we covered it for the last 23 years. That was part of the deal. I covered the car at school or I couldn't drive it. Anyways, it has 106,000 original miles on it and still runs like a champ the paint still has it's clear coat. The only thing we had to replace was the steering wheel and shifter. My Dad still takes the Porche out, but uses his 2000 BMW M5 as a commuter.

It looks like you definitely have an attention to detail, when it comes to your tank, cars, and bikes. Be careful out there and look out for those crazy drivers.

schigara

by schigara

Looking out for crazy and asleep drivers does take a lot of the pleasure out of riding but it all comes back when I find a nice twisty 2 lane road where I can lay the bike over and drag a knee. Thank god for leathers and knee pucks.

Hey, if you ever do get a track car, get a 944 Turbo(951), it's the best bang for the buck! Handling and braking is tremendous out of the box and power can be awesome, with a little massaging. The difference between the 944 and the 944 Turbo is incredible. You have to drive a good one to believe it.

As far as you and your dad's 944, have the timing and balance belts been replaced and has the water pump been updated? The NA 2.5L in that car will last forever if properly maintained.

newbie916

by newbie916

Unfortunately, we learned our lesson about the timing belt 12 years ago, when it broke and we ended up having to rebuild the engine. That was our fault. I told my Dad we needed to change it and he said that it looked fine. Behold four months later the belt snapped. Luckily we didn't throw a rod, but it damaged a few of the valves. Now we change it every 40,000 miles or every 5 years or so. I will definitely check out the NA 2.5 L cuz I think it's about that time.

The 944 Turbo's are awesome cars. I was thinking about picking up my cousin's 88' BMW M3 for a track car. Cars and dirt bikes were his passion and if he wasn't working as a Lexus tech, he was in his garage rebuilding cars. His 88' M3 is all tricked out for the track. Unfortunately, he passed away from lymphoma a little over a year ago before he could take his car to the track. I always thought he will get killed in an accident doing something crazy, but cancer took him at the ripe old age of 28. He was only 6 months older than me. Anyways, his parents have a few of his art pieces. 3 BMW 2002's and his 88' M3. I figured what a better track car and it has some sentimental value. Life is too short and have fun hugging those corners. You would definitely get a kick out here in Cali on Highway 1. It's an awesome stretch of highway along the California coast. An ocean breeze with some killer twisty roads to lay a bike over and drag a knee or test out the handling of a Porche. Down side is, if you lose control you either fly off a 200 foot cliff into the ocean or crash into the side of the moutain. I haven't done it yet, but have seen some nasty accidents. My wife and I still like taking it, when we find a babysitter. Have you worked on any 88' M3's?

10 posts