Unhealthy Anemone???

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gradyh

Unhealthy Anemone???

by gradyh

Hey I have a nano (20g) ive been working on during college, I do 25% water changes twice a week, and a 50% change 1 time a month...I have a small bubble tip anemone that I have had for about a month and he just doesnt look too hot! He isnt an agressive eater, and will deflate is tentacles and open his mouth for about an hour 1 or 2 times a day...BUT...other times of the day he looks extremely healthy??

Help me out!!

thanks

newbie916

by newbie916

What does your water quality and temp look like. Do you have live rock and live sand? How long has your tank been cycling? Does he look better after your water changes. I noticed my bubble tip is very sensitive, when my nitrates are too high. They are very sensitive to water quality.

gradyh

by gradyh

My temp. is about 79, 80 area...I have live rock and sand, but i have noticed he gets happier when I do water changes, Im also going to switch to a new water sorce to see if that helps...

newbie916

by newbie916

I've been using R/O water for my tanks. You could definitely look into using a different water source if your using tap water. Have you been checking your water quality? I noticed my rose bubble tip really likes warm water for some reason. He tends to look the healthiest between 80-82, which is kind of strange because most people recommend 78-80. Have you been cycling your tank for a while? My 12 gallon cycled for three months before I added any livestock to get the water right. I'm running into a lot of problems with a tank I bought three weeks ago that was established for 18 months. My bubble tip is a great indicator about my water quality. Check your nitrates because that's when my bubble acts up. You maybe doing too many or too large of water changes and eliminating some of your beni bacteria, if your water doesn't have a problem. I only do a 20% water change once every two weeks on my 12 gallon and the water stays perfect. I've been doing 10-20% water changes every 3-5 days on my 100 gallon because of the nitrate problem. Your best bet is to check your water and make sure that your tank has been cycled. Identify the problem and any of these guys on this site could guide you in the right direction. They've been helping me out a lot on my 100 gallon.

gradyh

by gradyh

thanks alot! i have been using tap water becuase I live in colorado mountains with the worlds best tap water, but i have a feeling im still getting some copper, so i recently changed to R/O water to see if that would help and already i can see a difference in the health of my stock! thanks guys!

newbie916

by newbie916

NP, it could be that Colorado has the best tap water for us humans, but there are probably a lot of natural components that are healthy for us. However, our salt water systems are very particular to the minerals and it definitely could have been the source of your issues. Your welcome and good luck!!!

Newbie916

Unhealthy Anemone???

6 posts