schigara

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

makavelithedon963941

schigara

by makavelithedon963941

im having the same problem with the new octopus, could you post thoes skimmer mods, and do you think the way i built my sump could be affecting the performance of the skimmers?

schigara

by schigara

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... genumber=1

That is the entire thread for mods to the Octopus. I forget exactly which page it is on.

The skimmer you have should work quite well in stock form though.

What exactly is the skimmer doing? Do you have a pic of the skimmer and sump? What is SG of the water? How long has the skimmer been running?

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

well, the skimmer just seems like it should be collecting more skimmate, whenever i would look at my old h-o-b skimmer, there was always foam in the cup and more foam moving up the neck, but i never see foam moving up the neck or in the cup of the octo, their is small amounts of skimmate in the cup but i never see the foam. SG is, 24-25, and the skimmer has been running for about 3 weeks now. ill take the pic, just tell me where to send it

schigara

by schigara

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

alright, ill send, give it like 10 mins, had to recharge battery real quick

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

sent

schigara

by schigara

From the pics, It looks like you need to lower the stand pipe about an inch maybe more. I'd also cut the airline about 5 in shorter. The longer the tubing, the more restricting it is.

It is also quite deep in the water of the sump. Can you raise it at least 3-5in with a platform?

Looks like it's producing a good amount of bubbles in the chamber.

Did you find the post in that thread about drilling and enlarging the air port on the venturi?
That and boring out the elbow that connects the pump to the body are the best ways to reduce water and air restrictions. If you decide to do the elbow mod, be careful not to grind out too much. I had to epoxy my elbow back together as I went to far.

Try the adjustments I mentioned and see what happens.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

excellent, thanks for the help, i actually do have something to rest the skimmer on to raise it, ill try it out, or i might just get more acrylic and rebuild the sump completly. thoes are some great mods you posted, im gonna shorten the air hose, lower the stand pipe and raise it with a rack i made, and if im still seeing the same results im going to try that bad ass venturi enlargment mod, thanks again, ill post the progress

schigara

8 posts