Is this normal amount of algae growth??

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Chi64886503

by Chi64886503

My tank is about 4 months old. I neglected it for the first three months but now it seems to do well.

It is a 110 gallon, sump, 60 lbs live rock. It was set up with tap water and rocks. I added damsels a week later and did not touch it since. I was cleaning algae off the glass every 2 days. I did a 1/3 water change a few weeks ago with osmosis water. I bought an osmosis system. Now I have to clean algae about once a week.

I did about a week ago add a skimmer as well but I also added 3 clowns, yellow tang, zebra eel 18" long, some fiddler crabs and yesterday 5 bay scallops we caught and 3 decent size hermits we caught as well.

Is this normal algae growth cleaning glass once a week? My lighting I run the blue light from 8 am to 10 pm. The white lights for 8 hrs and at night the lunar lights come one when the other lights are shut off. I believe it is a current brand light systm and if I recall correctly is it over 400 watts but the exact number I do not know.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

id cut back to 10% water changes with your RO water weekly, and yes weekly algae cleaning is pretty normal............as long as everthing is healthy your doing good...........i do think adding so much stock all at once is pretty risky and self caught stuff should be quarentined for a few weeks before adding it...............just as a precaution..........but as i said if they're all happy then great.........if you want to reduce the white lights a little {4-6 hours} i run mine 2 hrs in the morning and 2-3 hours at night and blue 4 hrs in the morning and 4 hours at night .........it might help a little with the algae

watch your parameters for the next few weeks pretty closely thats a lot of waste you added all at once....good thing is maybe the crabs and scallops will balance the fish load a little................good luck , lets see some pics

Boss

2 posts