All new fish technology?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Deuce15663241

All new fish technology?

by Deuce15663241

So I've been seeing a lot about these new Bio-Orb things and I've read the boxes and I guess I'm just missing what the big deal is. I also heard it won best in show at something. So now it's time to get to the point, what am I missing? Is it really all that great or just a bunch of hype?

celticchrys

by celticchrys

The only thing new is the name and the sleek design as far as I can tell. They have what is essentially a sponge filter buried in some gravel.(or is it zeolite instead of gravel?) They have a small air-surface, and so wouldn't be a good home for most fish, especially goldfish. So I'm guessing the big attraction is the same one that always exists with this sort of setup: it looks pretty and simple.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you know i got one of these biorbs for a Christmas gift, and didn't quite know what to think of it at first. but i do have to say had it stocked for about a month now and i am pretty impressed. i was sort of baffled as to how and if the filter would work. but it seems to be doing an good job. the gravel is actually a ceramic media helps out with your bio filter, a few drawbacks. no good place to put a heater, so cold water is the way to go with this tank. i have 3 white cloud minnows, 1 male beta, 2 dwarf frogs. and they all seem to be doing just fine. another annoying thing about the biorb is it is a acrylic globe so you get alot of weird distortion when you look into it, but all in all i am very impressed with it
_andrew

All new fish technology?

3 posts