corydoras and amano shrimp

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Amano shrimp, Corydoras or both?

amano shrimp
33%
corydoras
33%
both (if they get along)
33%

Total votes : 3

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

I want corydoras to cleen the bottom of my tank, but I really like amano shrimp as well. Can three amano shrimp go with about 2 corydoras or would they not get along?
And if they dont get along which would be better to have?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

They'll get along fine as long as neither is crouding the bottom surface area of the tank. Amanos will graze all over but spend the majority of their time at the bottom of the tank. With any tank its best to create a mixture of husbandry that won't overwhelm any of the 3 layers of the tank, top, middle, bototm. I have never seen a cory attack anything...maybe ''wrench'' an algae wafer away from a kuhli loach though. lol

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

lol thanks, umm do you know anything about discus...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

No but I think Brandon (Poetic Irony) keeps Corydoras with Discus. As far as I know discus are pretty peaceful. I don't know how they'd treat inverts though...

Zankren

by Zankren

discus sort of HAVE to be be nice. despite their big size, they have a tiny little mouth so they don't really bother anyone else in the tank so long as their needs are met. This is what everything I've read about them has said at least, have not yet got one though.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Based on what's in your profile I assume you're talking about a 29 gallon tank. It sounds like your tank is about full. If you still intend to add either shrimp or cories, I would go with the shrimp since they are going to remain on the bottom more and the cories are likely to go all over, especially since they have to surface for air. Also, the cories are happiest in groups of 6 or more and you could get away with fewer shrimp.

It would be hard to say that "cories" get along with this or that since there are over 300 kinds. A good place for very detailed cory info is www.planetcatfish.com

Zambize

6 posts