check up questions ...............

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

snowboss

by snowboss

OK people.............my tank seems to be becoming pretty well seasoned, my parameters haven't changed in weeks [like 6-8 weeks] i have to clean the glass every 3-5 days, fish seem happy, crabs are running around doing their thing, snails come out and feed regularly and my pod population seems to be increaseing - - - - in the morning the tank is so crystal clear and by the 5-6 pm it's a little hazy and has a small brown ditritus looking shit on the sand...................the live rock is showing some nice "pea" sized spots of Coraline all over the place ....... and it basically is running almost maintinence free other than top offs and feeding.

question 1 ....... my larg hermit just molted again.............he molted just a few weeks ago........... is this normal and do they just do it when they need to or am i over feeding him and can it be bad for him if he molts to often

qeustion 2 .......should i be concerned about something terrible happening? in my life if things are running along smoothly and seem to good to be true ................well.......they probably are and something catastophic usually happens .........lol

thanks for the input

Snowboss

graniteguy

by graniteguy

I have had two dutch reefs. My hermits often molt. No problem there. Are they eating your snails? make sure to keep plenty of bigger shells for them.

I would not fret something terrible happening. My dutch reefs did awesome with very little maintenance. Nothing should go terribly wrong.

Rest easy

fihsboy

by fihsboy

My shrimps molt every other week like clock work. The guy at my lfs told me that they should........I dont know why but he said it was heathly and it meant your iodine levels were correct. That being said.....glad everything is going great in your tank!

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

i had a hermit, i got him lots of shells of all different sizes but it didnt matter, he was determined to eat my snails and take their shells for about 20 mins, then ditch it and go back to the one he came from, little bastard. sound like the tank is doing good boss, glad to hear!, my tank went a little downhill due to a shitty protein skimmer, but i got a reef octopus skimmer and now everything is doing good again, i also made a sweet lighting system that shimmers just like halides. i got a t5 retrofit kit along with some powerbrite leds and screwed them all into my canopy and the results were amazing! check the post that says " Halide Shimmer"

snowboss

by snowboss

thanks guys...........i don't know where i heard it or read it but i thought crabs molted every 6 months or so.....so im glad to hear that basically if they need to they will.................cool deal on the new skimmer MAK ...sounds like a nice one

And no thank god he doesn't mess with the snails.......and he now has his anemone back so he seems pretty happy

thanks again , Boss

5 posts