dry dead live rock...

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gumbii

dry dead live rock...

by gumbii

some guy is giving me a bunch of old dead and dried up live rock... i was going to make my own, but bah... if i get this stuff i'll rather rock it...

does this still have to be cured..? or can i just wash it up really good...???

kthxgoodbye...

singapore

by singapore

if it is truely dead, then there shouldnt have to cure it. if i read correctly, this is essentially base rock, and since it doent have anything alive on it currently, putting it in your tank wont kill anything on it, and therefore it doenst need to be cured. but a good scrub down would be good.

correct me if im wrong anyone...

snowboss

by snowboss

i agree to an extent...my only concern would be where it was stored....if it dry and in a garage or closet whats on it? and if it's in a system or resently taken out...........well...........whats on it? lol

So IMO at least a short cycle to be sure would be my thought - -unless you are startinga new system with it...then start out with it in the new cycle in the tank

just my thoughts.......but this is coming from someone who seems to be able to kill tanks by looking at them wrong....lol

call me over protective, Boss

angus4481

by angus4481

i would cure it, if i ever had the situation. i just like to stay on the safe side myself, hell it could have a dormant creature in there. do you have anouther tank to put it in ? if so, put it in the other tank for a week and smell it, if it smells like rotten eggs you need to cure it. imo...i just wouldnt throw it in a display tank right away

gumbii

by gumbii

well i researched it a bit and i found stuff saying that it will be okay... but some people have boiled it and baked it in the oven before hand... also scrubbed the crap out of it..

i might do all of that...

MOAR DETALES!!!!!!....

the rock has been sitting in the fish tank outside my new work site for 2 years now... the sun has been hitting it on a daily bases but has never contacted water other than condensation...

so what do you guys think...???¿¿

snowboss

by snowboss

id still drop it into a salt bath for 3-5 days and see what comes out.....i think boiling and baking is fine too, but the cheapest thing to do is a 55 gal trash can a couple bubble wands and/or a couple power heads, a heater and let her run, then if you do get gunk and crap comin off of it - do 50 % water changes every other day and test till it's good to go .............

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

i'll see... bah...

i might do that, or i might not... if the damsel's start to drop i'll get they out of they tank...

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

boiling is the best way to reuse dead live rock

dry dead live rock...

8 posts