cichilids

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

JT_1

Re: cichilids

by JT_1

hey have you ever bred cobalt blue cichlids

mehobden

Re: cichilids

by mehobden

first of all cichlids are very aggressive fish as you probobly already know. they can eat a wide variety of foods in cluding flake, pellet and live foods. the can grow up to 14" depending on the type you get. They come from all over the world like lake malawi, lake tanganyika and south and central america.

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

By no chemicals, i mean don't use these pH changing products
the only thing you should really use is conditioner like aqua safe
to test for pH, yes you can get a tester for it, but don't touch the changers that come with it
there are natural ways to increase or dicrease the pH in your tank
the best thing is always to acclimate new fish to the current pH you have in your tank
Here is a great article for you to read (and also for others), on how to properly acclimate fish to your tank
http://www.fishlesscycling.com/articles ... _fish.html

The most important part to actually change the pH is that it's done gradually and not rapidly

hope that helps
eve

Edit*
not all cichlids are aggressive, there are the ones you can keep with plants as example german blue rams

african cichlids like yellow labs are also very mellow

getwithit

by getwithit

its just simple chemicals that you can actually get from the grocery store....if its too acidy a little bit of baking soda does the trick...if its a little alkaline just ad some potash.

evelynmarch26

by evelynmarch26

The only chemical i use in my tank is "Aqua Safe" which is a conditioner for your tapwater, other then that i use nothing but just do regular waterchanges
For my plants i use a fertilizer which is especially made for aquariums and should only be bought from a petstore as well

Once you have an idea on what you want to have regards cichlids, give us the list and names here and i'm sure we can tell you what would work and what won't work

But just remember one thing though
"What works for 1 person, doesn't necessarely mean it works for you"
i have put fish together where everybody said it won't work, and i have my tank up and running for 3 months now, and i also have added plants to an african tank and it works

good luck
eve

sheila4275

by sheila4275

the only cichlids i know about are from lake malawi , i have two 55 gallon tanks, i do 25% water changes every week.and i use aquasafe. i have two 350 penguins on each tank. filtration is very important, cause contrary to other fish you have to crowd a cichlid tank to keep down agression or use target fish which i don't.
where i live the water is hard so my ph stays around 8 which my fish love. i haven't had not one die in 5 yrs.
it's also good to make sure all your fish come from the same lake so they will be compatible. in most pet stores the writing just says african cichlids that could mean any lake in africa... and most people who work there don't know anything about fish. your best bet would be to look in the fish forums on all the fish related websites the most helpful one for me was cichlids.com.. hope this helps

cichilids

16 posts • Page 2 of 2