Dead Fish

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Randy

Dead Fish

by Randy

Recently my saltwater fish died during the move of my tank. The tank included a 2 ft bamboo shark, a 3 pound grouper, a dogface puffer, and a cowfish. I understand that the puffer and cow are poisionous fish. I drained out as much water as I could. 1. Was draining all the water necessary? 2. What steps should be taken next to insure that the water is not contaminated for future setup?

littlej2455

by littlej2455

sorry to hear about your fish. How long were they in the first aquarium? Was the shark active?

Randy

by Randy

They were probably in the tank for a year or so. And yes the shark was very active. All of the fish were.

snowboss

by snowboss

sorry for the lose man..........did you lose everything?

If so - - then I would just drain it completely and start fresh

if you have a survivor, then dilution is the solution, drain as much as you safely can, refill with clean water and do water changes every couple days {10-20%} for a couple weeks and test daily ....watch the survivor and test daily, keep testing for at least a week or two past the point that you think it's safe..........

of the best thing to do with a survivor if you can would be a smaller nurse tank and restart the main display if you can

again ....sorry for the lose ...it sucks ...we have all lost some or in my case I crashed a tank completely myself, so your not alone bud

Snowboss

Randy

by Randy

Yeah it does suck, unfortunately there were no survivors. But what can you do? I did drain out all the water and have taken a little break to recover from what has happened. The tank is now completely empty and now I have to decide on what kinda of setup I want to go with. The tank is 8' ft long X 2 ft wide X 2 1/2 tall. It is 300 gallons and drilled with overflow in the center. Any suggestions?

snowboss

by snowboss

wow - - thats an awsome size .........i would set it back up with salt water and let it run for a couple months, in the mean time you can research the direction you want to go - -a small tank sets up just like a big tank, only the smaller ones are a little more critical on parameters because of size..........personally i am planning a large DIY tank and plan on "reefing" the two ends and haveing an open area in the middle

Boss

Dead Fish

6 posts