Sump Leak!!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

Sump Leak!!

by newbie916

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to the hobby and just upgraded to a 100 gallon acrylic system with a 20 gallon sump.I purchased the established system on e-bay and just picked it up yesterday and finished around 1 am. Luckily all of the fish, corals, and livestock survived my 6 hr take down, transport, and set up. Everything is running great except for I noticed a small pool of water near my sump. I put some kitchen towels because I thought it was excess from the move, but I've been checking it every few hours and the towel is soaked. Do you have any recommendations on how to fix it. I would hate to have to run out and spend another $300 on another sump. I appreciate the feedback.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Eventually your going to have to do a more permanent fix, but for now, you could go get some aqarium sealent and attempt to seal it off on the outside if you can see the leak. You can pick this stuff up at any pet store. and if its a crack of some sort cut a piece of acrylic and put it over the sealent, sandwhiching it between both piecies of acrylic. This should help it for now. But if its glass..........its just going to get worse, which means your going to have to get a new one......or better yet build one. Get yourself a 20 gallon tank, or long, I prefer long. Make a few chambers, and you can even give yourself a refugium. Im going to post pictures of mine. Hope this helps bud.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey fihsboy,

I appreciate the help and I talked to the reef guy at my local fish store. I ended up getting a new sump and dropped $340 on a Tru Vu Professional. Hopefully, this will hold the tank over because I just set it up last night. I got a pretty good deal on the established tank and I wanted to make sure I did it right. I will look at fixing the old one, but the guy said since the leak wasn't from a crack, but was from the weakening of the weld it could get worse later on after any repair and make a huge mess on top of losing everything. Anyways, I appreciate the help and I will definitely keep in touch if I run into malfunctions.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Very nice, no problem man. Yeah if it was from the weakening weld you did the best thing you could do, buy new. You just saved yourself a huge headache later.

Sump Leak!!

4 posts