Check out the new pics!!!! (Haven't updated in a while)

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

levinheidi

by levinheidi

Hello again everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while and wanted to show everyone the progress our tank has made over the last couple months. Let me know what you think. It took some time, but we have a nice jungle going on in there now!!!!

Initial setup and planting:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/19671

Newest Picture of the Tank:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/19672

A Little Bit Closer:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/19673

zambize

by zambize

You asked for comments! First of all, the tank is coming along nicely. It's really maturing and shows some tender loving care. A couple of things I think would improve it. 1) hide the equipment running up the middle of the picture. 2) I have a similar shale cave and I found that it works better moved to the side, more subtle, and not as a "centerpiece". It just doesn't carry the beauty or interest to be in the center, but it is interesting to "discover" peaking out of the side or corner. Also, the fish are more likely to use it if it isn't in the open. You don't necessarily need anything in the center, just the fish, and if there isn't much else in the center then they'll be more encouraged to swim there.

And speaking of fish. Several of the species you have would really be happier in greater numbers of their own kind. The sunset Platy are a great splash of color but they'd have a greater impact if you had 5-7 of them instead, and less of the other fish.

I just read great stocking advice that said to resist the urge to buy 2 of that, 3 of that, 1 of this, etc. It's not good for the fish and it isn't nearly as attractive as greater numbers of 2-3 different species. A big school of Cardinal Tetras swimming by is beautiful, but just a few barely school and have little or no impact. Just an example.

Keep it up though, it's coming along nicely.

Zambize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Looks great. The java moss filled in nicely. Couldn't wait for that last corner to fill in before posting though could you? :) I barely resist the urge to repost my original 16 gallon everyday lol I'ts still got a long way to go, and I'm too cheep to up the lighting. My microsword grows like...1mm per month. lol

Anyway I still remember the original post and photo, and I must say I'm proud someone was able to make something so nice out of forum advice. :)
How big are your clowns now out of curiosity?

levinheidi

by levinheidi

Thanks for the replies. The forum definitely was a big help in setting up our tank. My clowns are about three inches and are fat little guys. Tmercier, you can probably find a fairly cheap compact flourescent for your 16 gallon. I am using them in my tank and they give a lot of high powered light for their size.

4 posts