DIY overflow.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

DIY overflow.

by fihsboy

Soo I was thinking about possibly starting a new way to make an overflow. If you were to get a lets say 6" PVC pipe and cut it so it would reach the top of your tank. Then Cut the pipe into a semi circle and seal it to the back of the aquarium or even cut it into 4ths and put it in the corner. Then you could cut a hole about 3/4ths of the tank up and you have an overflow. Just add a bulkhead and some PVC and your in business. I havent tried it out yet, But I will within the next month or so, money is tight, so experiments are on hold. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

the idea sounds solid....i would use a 6" PVC cap though...that way you don't have to waste time and effort trying to seal the bottom up - - -i am going to build a DIY plywood monster tank and I'm looking at small KOI pondskimmers to modify into overflows/ skimmers.....but in my case I'll be putting them in wood, so it's a little more forgiveing than glass, lol
Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That sounds pretty interesting. Plywood? How would you keep it from leaking? And warping. Sounds cool though.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Hey Boss, I finally got some pictures up. :) FINALLY. And your plywood tank............is it going to be one viewed from above?

snowboss

by snowboss

the plywood is structural only........it will be the back and 2 sides, the front will be glass, after the "tank" shape is built i'll hand lay fiberglass and epoxy coat the entire thing then silicon the glass in as i fill it - -the pressure from the water holds the glass in ...............dimensions as of right now 8 feet wide, 3 feet deep and 3 feet tall - -right at 500 gallons, it's going to be built into a tank room in my new basement so all you'll see is the glass - -everything else will be in the room ehind it

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That sounds awesome! I cant wait to move out and have a fish room. College is expensive so for now my 29 gallon will have to do. But that sounds sweet!

snowboss

by snowboss

i waited 40 yrs to get this tak off the ground and we still have to get through the bank financing crap before we start building, so this tank is still 6 months out easily.......i bought a 65 gallon setup from the SaltwaterPimp, we just need to both schedual the same weekend off and get it from one end of NY to the other- - - i think im going to set it up at the house we are at now but it will end up in the wall next to the bar inbetween the kitch and living room in the new house {lol - -i say that like everyone knows what im talking about} - - anyway - - -don't rush it - -get a great education then pay someone to build you a monster when your out in the world makin millions.....lol

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

i just made two of these guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEHUJtsweY

it's really simple...

inside the tank is a 1" pvc pipe that goes past the water surface... i cut out some gaps/teeth that are 1" deep... they have four of they...

then i have it to a 1"to3/4" reducer and the rest is 3/4" PVC... and viola...

i had to make two huge ones to get ~700gph out of both of them...

i only spent about $8 total on they....

snowboss

by snowboss

very nice Gumbii - - ill be emailing you DIY sketches for my overflows and pipeing for approval, lol - - - of course after i send Zambize her managers fee, lol - -Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Wow! That is pretty cool and it doesnt take up any room at all! I like it! Would it keep a siphon though? I live at home with my mom and grandma.......and shes 83 soo a flood in my house could lead to a broken hip........which is baaaaaad news.

DIY overflow.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2