Black Tahitian Moon Sand -- looks cool

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

zambize

by zambize

I keep being drawn to this sand....I have black gravel right now. I originally wanted the BTMS but I'm a newbie and knew that it would add an unnecessary challenge when I was just trying to keep my guppies alive.

Now I'm thinking about it again. I've searched the internet but can't find anything very detailed about the potential issues with this. I can't find whether or not my fish are compatible, if removing my gravel all at once will affect my bacteria level too much, if my bio-wheel will complain, if there are any extra considerations around vacuuming (besides don't suck up sand)...etc.

And is it just a really bad idea to try and change out the substrate in a stocked tank. That worries me the most. Also, this sand is supposed to be beautiful, great quality, etc....any personal experiences with it? I found a few pictures of real tanks with it but no great pictures.

Thanks guys....

Z

jinx

by jinx

Z,

This is TM83 on my girlfriends account.

In the picture you see her tank with the moon sand.

As with most aquarium substrates its inert, will probably need to be washed, wouldn't recommend adding it with fish/water unless its been washed over and over (this is done by adding some to a bucket then adding water to swish up all fine particulates, then dumping the water and an angle over and over until the water being dumped appears clear).

Should you decide to add it to your existing substrate the thicker stones will eventually rise to the top as the sand sifts down through and condenses.

If you have a possible future desire to go planted go with the black flourite sand I have in my 30gal instead. It's not quite as visually appealing but the results above it are. It's more clay based and charcoal/black in color. Neither will alter your water parameters, and both are favorable to most bottom dwellers.

In the same manner I keep Java Moss out of my HOB intake, I now keep the sand out. I have a mesh bag cut up that I have fit over both intakes. When I first changed my 16gal over to sand it didn't take long to kill my old filter while some of the particulates I hadn't thoroughly rinsed out floated into the impeller, jamming it and frying the little motor. I'm now with my 3rd HOB and have no problems at all. You live you learn. :)

If you don't feel like messing with a bag you can probably just raise your intake off the sand a bit more substantially. I'd rather prefilter mine and keep it low to get all the crap off the bottom.

gumbii

by gumbii

there's a really good/cheap alternative to TMS... it's called 3M colorquartz sand... it comes in two grain sizes and goes for about 25-35 bucks a 50lb bag...

it also doesn't hold sulfate or other dangerous gasses like other sands and substrates... it's also heavier since it is made of 100% quarts rock...

check it out...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... /HomePage/

lol... read this thread... it's ALL about the sand...
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hp?t=43290

rw1298

by rw1298

bummer no one sells it in my state

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

closest person to me is in kansas city......

gumbii

by gumbii

look up pool makers and contractors... also pull supply stores can order it for you... but for more cash... the only place i could get it was selling it to me at 45 bucks a 50lb bag... wich is still pretty good...

LDSCHMIDT296713

by LDSCHMIDT296713

any one know where you can get this in the NY area?

zambize

by zambize

I did find it on a few websites for sale. I think Drs Foster and Smith may have been one of them.

I have since experimented with this in two tanks and it is beautiful. I have some plain black sand that I got for about half the price, but the BTMS is nicer, seems classier and higher quality. Substrate lasts for a long time so don't shy away from spending a few extra bucks on the nice stuff. You'll be looking at it for a long time.

Zambize

8 posts