urgent cycle!! please anyone with any advice!

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

by singapore

im going on vacation in 7 days. i have a 10gal saltwater already up and running, and a 55gal that im going to turn into a saltwater. i would really like to get this tank running before i go on vacation. ive read a whole bunch of stuff about cycling a tank with liverock, but im not planning on doing so. . .i cant afford a few hundred dollars of it right now. and the 6-week process isnt an option right now i dont think. i bought the salt, and a bottle of Cycle yesterday. is it even remotely possible to cycle this tank (the 55) in a week and have my current fish from my 10 gal in there by the 25th or 26 of this month? i have easy to care for fish, a blue damsel, an oc clown, 6line wrasse, engineer goby, and snowflake eel. plus an urchin, horseshoe crab, and a few snails and crabs. i know it is alot for a 10gal, but my friend gave up on the hobby and i took his fish before he flushed them. . .i figured that a few weeks of crameped living was better than death. . . the problem is. . .im having my neighbor take care of them for the week while im away, and he doesnt know the finer aspects of how to take care of a saltwater tank. the nitrate levels in the tank continue to spike every few days from the huge bioload, requirng a water change, and i dont want to make him try and change water. . . i know moving too fast is a big no-no in this hobby. . .but any advice on how to get them into a bigger tank, where nitrate spikes wont be a problem for the week im away would be a life saver. really, it might save some fish haha.

snowboss

by snowboss

i think either direction is a huge risk............the wrasse and inverts are not "easy to care for species" if anything, mix 20 gallons a fresh salt water in the 55 {no substrate or anything in there} then do 20-30 % water changes in the 10 every other day and put the change water in the 55 as well.............then leave the inverts, wrasse and goby in the 10 while your gone and put the hearty fish in the 55, this will lighten the load a little and all you should have is maybe algae issues when you return - -hope for the best have a good vacation and see what you have when you return

Boss

2 posts