hmmm...breeding fish.

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

hmmm...breeding fish.

by singapore

so i was talking to my mom today, and she said that since i dont have a summer job, maybe i should try to make some money somehow related to my only real hobby, fishkeeping.

i talked to my LFS guy today, and he said that if i made and fully cured rocks, he would buy it from me. he also said he has a guy locally who breeds clowns and some damsel or something and he buys those from him. I can make liverock for about 11 cents a pound. he says if it is good quality, and nice shaped, he will buy it for $1.50 a puond.

so... im thinking the money i make from the rock should help support my hobby this summer. but she also wondered if i could breed fish and sell them. besides clowns and damsels, what are easy fish to breed? maybe fish that are uncommon? i was thinking anglers. they are amzing looking fish. i havent found much about successful breeding other than by professional aquariums. anyone have any information about angler breeding, or breeding other types of uncommon fish or inverts?

(im not really interested in propogating corals)

snowboss

by snowboss

so what are you doing to "make" live rock? like rally "making it" from concrete or something? i would love to know how to make live rock for 11 cents a pound, I have a HUGE tank in the works and im going to need 400-500 lbs of rock eventually....let us know

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

i posted up some links in zambize's thread on this subject... it's pretty easy...

anyways... as far as breeding... it's going to be tough... only 4% of the fish found in LFS are tank raised... if there isn't a tank raise specimen, that's because no one knows how to breed it... sorry...

i've been told that breeding clowns is hard because as fry they are incredibly small... sometimes hard to see... i think the damsel that is commonly bred is the domino... since they too are anemone fish...

the angler is tricky... since you will never see a male in the trade... only females... unless you get a female that allready has a male attached to her body... there is no way you could make it happen... and say you do get some eggs, how will you care for the fry if there is no research or documented captive breeding on the fish...

if you do decide to try to breed clowns, get some expensive clowns... like orange skunk clowns, bicinctus clown, xcalak clown, or a white shoulder clown...

singapore

by singapore

i checked out those clowns u reccommended online, and i really like the look of the bluestripe clown.

the only problem is, nobody seems to have them in stick. the bicinctus clown is alright, but not very colorful. do u think people would want to buy them? the orange skunk clown, the same thing, they arent very stunning like many others, do u think people would want to buy them?

i also saw a bright clown with no stripes. i believe it was called a fire clown. do u know anything abuot them?

gumbii

by gumbii

fire clown is related to the tomato clown and cinnamon clown...

but anyways... i didn't mention those clowns because they are collorfull... i just said those names because they will bring more cash to the table... those are some pretty expensive fish... and if you start tank raising them, you will be making serious cash...

hmmm...breeding fish.

5 posts