Oscar Overboard

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

ucrazy51

Oscar Overboard

by ucrazy51

I just found one of my Oscars on the floor underneath my tank cabinet. How he jumped thru the only small opening that exists is amazing. I had read somewhere to try and revive even though you think they maybe dead.
I put him back in the tank and pushed him around by hand to get some water over his gills and he finned my hand. I then switched to moving him around inside a large net and I noticed he was breathing although very shallow.

After some more moving in the net he became active and started erratically swimming around. His eyes have clouded over and I guess he couldn't see too well. Anyway, he's still hanging in there and resting on the bottom and still breathing. Guess I'll see if he makes it.

I've since made sure there are no escape hatches available...
Updates pending...

gumbii

by gumbii

that's crazy... i've heard of people throwing away some fish in the trash can, then they see them moving, throw them back into the tank and making a full recovery... i read a story about a lady doing that with a sea horse... insanity...

well good luck...

ucrazy51

by ucrazy51

Update --- Amazingly, he's swimming around and eating. He's not as active as before but I figure a little more recuperation time... Even the cloudiness on the eyes have cleared up. Color is still a little mottled looking.

New name --- Lucky or Lazarus

gumbii

by gumbii

stress coat might help... or even melafix...

good to hear...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Name him Phoenix.

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Good thing you found him. I had a friend lose a large oscar the sameway. Some fish can live for hours if not days. Turbot are shipped in styrofoam boxes with little or no water and survive even international shipping

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I saw a type of catfish once that could actually "walk" on land in dry air...crazy stuff. I thought it was some kind of slimey lizard at first glance!

gumbii

by gumbii

my LFS sells those african lung fish... you could have them in the mud out of the water for a couple of days... very cool/ugly fish...

ucrazy51

by ucrazy51

6-22-08 Update
You can barely tell anything ever happened to him. Unbelievable...

gumbii

by gumbii

hmm... i've been discussing this with a couple of oscar fans from the cichlid club... they said that an oscar wont jump out of the water unless the water's conditions were unconfortable or unhealthy...

just throwing that in there...

Oscar Overboard

11 posts • Page 1 of 2