newbiw help??

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie21

newbiw help??

by newbie21

I im goin to give salt water a crack cuz i think it looks so much more fun the fresh water.I have a 55 gal fresh water right now and ijust set up a old 10gal saltwater tank i had laying around to c what im going to get my self into befor i spend to much$$$$$$.I have a couple of ? first my tank nothing really good here i really dont have the money to up grade soon i hope to converst my 55 gal fresh to a sal.10GAL tank cruch coral/20gal mech filter with bio wheel on it(I know these r not verey good filters for salt but its all ihave for right now)/20 gal power head/Heater/15w biogol light.I just set it up and i put in pre mixed saltwater that has all the goods like calcuim etc.Its really cloudy white right now but i geuss that just cuz i set it up.My ?? r i want to keep like a small clown or a damsel is this ok?And i want to add some inverts like hermit crab or a shrimp will i be ok with this beening that the water comes with cal/iodin all ready in it?And i want to get like 3bls of live rock will it live and be ok in the tank?What is the right ph i need i got a ph buffer wich im going to start adding tomarow.Thanks if u take the time to get back to me>Any tips will help me about now im really looking foward to this.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i think its a good idiea that u want to get in the hobby . read a book before you jump in to things! small tank s need more attention then big ones. definitley add the live rock the more the better at least one lb per gal .you shold let your tank run for a while before you add fish take your water to your local fish store they should test it for free..if you dochange your water once a week {small amounts your ph might be stable? with out having to add chems.and also a protien skimmer would help water clarity. you can find a chep one on ebay.. good luck if you have any more ?? post them some one should be able to help you.

stavy

by stavy

i actually think if you buy a wet/dry sump with a hangover drip tray you should be able to easily convert your 55 fresh to saltwater. a sump makes saltwater hobby easier because all the water is filtered through it and you can put your protein skimmer and uv light right into the sump makes everything alot neater and more efficcient. i can even give u a price for what it might cost. id say a sump around 300-400, skimmer 150, uv light 120. its not cheap but really worth it. just my opinion. have fun!!!

newbiw help??

3 posts