Appropriate power head for a 20g high saltwater tank.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

I need help in determining the appropriate power head for my 20 gallon high saltwater tank. Currently I have a Maxi-Jet 900, which seems to be producing a little too powerful a current for the tank.

snowboss

by snowboss

M -
check this link out...........I have the "nano" in my 20 gallon long tank - -after useing these powerheads i don't think i'll ever go back to a "normal" pump type head - the reason i love them is they don't force water out in a "jet" more so they "move" it with the propeller ....giving you actually more flow and more area moving but not in a violent vortex ---very gentle {my snails will climb on it, lol}

http://www.petsolutions.com/Hydor-Koral ... 00542.aspx

BOSS

gumbii

by gumbii

i have two koralia 3's in my 90g tank... they're amazing... plus they are very low voltage...

but they are noisy at start up with my wave maker...

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks Boss!

MUHAMMAD

by MUHAMMAD

Thanks!

EDUB1152

by EDUB1152

GET A SCWD!!!!

Best device in the world!! (besides the ocean!!)

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Yeah, Koralias are great. or you can go with the Maxijet 400 or 600 with a 360 degree rotating head. I have a 10G nano reef with a CPR refugium, a Marineland C-160 canister with carbons only, a Koralia nano powerhead + a Rio 160 mini with the 360 rotation. I have somewhere around 500 G/Hr circulation, without over heating, which is very good for a 10G.tank.

Check out my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfccAfkRBnY

GOOD LUCK!!

gumbii

by gumbii

if you have a maxijet pump you could get that kit to make it into a koralia style pump...

seriously... why didn't i think of this before...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 8525&rel=1

it comes with everything to make it a koralia style pump... propellors and everything... it's supposed to be better than a koralia because koralia's have small low wattage motors... and it's only $15...

check it out...

dick_headers

by dick_headers

gumbii,

There's 5 different Koralias out there in the market..I belive. Koralia nano, and Koralia 1-4. A Koralia 1 ( which is the 2nd smallest after the nano version) pumps 400 G/Hr compare to the MJ 1200 which does 295 G/Hr. A Koralia 4 does somewhere around 1200 g/Hr. I think it's a great reason to upgrade. + It's about half size (maybe even less) of the MJ's with those upgrade kit.

Low wattege doesn't necessary mean lower output. Will save you few cents, and your water stays a bit colder in the summer time.

I didn't even mentioned the maintance. So freakin' easy.

schigara

by schigara

Actually the K4 is bigger than the Maxijet with the conversion in physical size.

All the MJ's from the 400 to the 1200 use the same motor block. They just use different impellers and housings for the various GPH ratings.

There are 2 conversion for the MJ. One of the kits comes with the small impeller and cage that produces 1600gph and the other comes with the small and large impeller with the larger producing 2100gph. Since all the MJ motor blocks are the same, the conversion can be used on any MJ.

I have 2 Seio 1500's which are true 1500gph pumps and also MJ 400-1200 and have a 2100 conversion on a MJ400. The output pattern is larger on the converted MJ but you can feel it moving alot more water than the Sieo 1500.

I have also had the K3 and 2 K 4's. For the money the MJ with the conversion whoops em all. The only real benefit of the Koralia over a converted MJ is the Koralia comes with the magnet and the MJ you either use the crappy suck cups or pay another $30 for the magnet conversion.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2