Now I'm really confused about brown algae.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I read a couple of articles that said brown algae is caused by too much light. I just read a couple more that said brown algae is caused by too little light. And that it shows up in new tanks and with patience it will go away on its own. But other articles say you need an algae eater. So what is it?! Argh.

Zambize

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

My brown algae went away on its own and turned to green seemingly over 2 or 3 days...its strange stuff...I know i have my lights on too long but why would it change like that when I didnt even add anything new or change anything in the water over those few days? Argh indeed!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Snails-do-a-great-job-on-brown-and-green-algae......I-love-the-way-my-ramshorn-snails-clean-the-glass-and-plants......They-leave-the-leaves-clean-and-green.

Other-than-reducing-nutrients-and-or-using-algae-eating-fish-and-critters-you-could-try-Algafix.......I-would-only-use-this-as-a-last-resort-and-as-it-deoxygenates-the-water-to-some-degree-you'd-have-to-aerate-or-agitate-the-surface-more-when-using-it.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Peter,

I've considered a snail. How do I know which one to get? I've looked for information on snails and how to stock them but I haven't found anything that seems definitive. Also, what do you feed a snail if there isn't enough algae?

I read yet another article that had other information about the cute, demure little oto --- it said that the oto is better suited for a planted tank. True? I just introduced three to my artificial tank....

Zambize

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I can't speak for fresh water but there is a difference between just good old fashion brown slimy junk algae {which is caused by dark, dank, low light, over feeding, to much waste nasty stuff AND Brown Diatom algae which feeds on light and is a bactieria cycle that can last from days to weeks in a tank and usually signals the begining of a mature tank when you go through it and it doesn't come back in a salt system ------ now thats the snowboss interpritation of algae, lol not the scientific explination

hope it helps a little

Boss

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Ok, I'm going with the diatom type because I think my tank is maturing and I know I don't have icky water. That helps. I now have 3 oto anyway.

Z

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Snails-can-multiply-to-an-amazing-number-so-you'd-need-to-be-prepared-for-that....I'd-say-Malaysian-trumpet-snails-would-be-the-best-as-they-mostly-hide-under-the-gravel-during-the-day-and-come-out-when-it's-dark,-but-I-personally-like-ramshorn-as-they-seem-to-be-better-than-most-at-cleaning-algae.....Keep-your-eyes-open-when-at-the-aquarium-store-or-Petco.....If-you-see-snails-ask-if-you-can-have-a-few......They'll-probably-give-them-to-you.

The-other-option-many-would-suggest-are-those-huge-snails-I-think-called-Apple-snails-or-something.....Someone-on-this-site-has-a-video-of-theirs-jumping-off-the-glass.....Probably-a-way-for-it-to-move-to-another-feeding-place-quickly.

I-also-have-Ottos-and-they-truly-are-sweet-little-fish.....Unless-you're-really-into-snails-as-I-am,-I'd-wait-and-see-how-well-the-Ottos-do-their-job......You-could-also-scrape-the-glass-and-take-the-artificial-plants-out-and-bleach-them-with-a-dilute-bleach-solution.....Rinse-rinse-rinse-really-well-and-replant.

I-feed-most-of-my-fish-except-the-gars-and-the-Pleco-Tetra-tropical-flakes.....It's-a-well-balanced-food-and-both-Ottos-and-snails-love-it-too.

I-have-a-theory-that-most-people-don't-clean-their-gravel-well-enough....Maybe-you-do,-but-here's-my-method....When-using-the-gravel-vacuum-it's-hard-to-get-all-the-crud-down-deep-and-in-the-corners.....If-you-do-choose-to-remove-the-plants-to-clean-them-try-this.

Turn-off-all-pumps-so-there's-nothing-creating-current-in-the-tank......Leave-the-fish-in.....Then-use-your-hand-and-dig-into-the-gravel-and-stir-it-up-with-the-intention-of-making-the-water-as-filthy-as-possible....Take-care-not-to-scratch-the-glass-in-the-front.....When-the-water-is-totally-brown-and-you-can't-see-in-more-than-an-inch-or-so-then-siphon-out-most-of-the-water-leaving-just-enough-for-the-fish.....You-may-want-to-set-aside-some-water-a-day-before-that's-conditioned-as-fresh-tap-water-may-be-a-shock-with-a-90%-water-change-as-I'm-suggesting,-or-there's-another-way.

The-other-way-is-to-let-it-settle-for-about-10-15-minutes-after-stirring-it-up-so-there's-a-layer-of-crud-on-the-top-of-the-gravel.....Then-you-can-use-the-gravel-vacuum-and-without-putting-it-into-the-gravel-skim-it-over-the-bottom-to-get-up-the-layer-that-has-settled.

After-doing-this-fill-the-tank-back-up-and-turn-on-the-pumps......When-the-water-is-clear-again-then-you-can-clean-the-filters.

This-can-be-done-without-removing-the-fish.....You-may-choose-to-put-a-net-over-the-siphon-so-fish-you-may-not-be-able-to-see-don't-get-sucked-up.

I-do-this-to-all-my-tanks-every-5-7-months-or-so....A-little-algae-is-the-sign-of-a-healthy-tank-and-too-much-indicates-excess-nutrients.

I-don't-know-about-diatom-algae-in-fresh-water,-but-cyanobacteria-is-like-green-slime.

If-you-want-to-positively-identify-what-kind-of-algae-you-have-try-www.plantgeek.com....under-algae......They-have-great-pictures-and-info....PK

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Snails wont be an option for me because I'v got loaches and they'd probably suck them right out of the shells. Im going to look into the otos...see if I can find some nice healthy ones.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds-like-a-good-choice.......I-lost-one-of-mine-recently-when-the-screen-over-the-intake-fell-off-and-the-little-guy-got-sucked-up.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Wow, thanks Peter, lots of good info. I better print it out.

I didn't like snails to begin with, but I'm getting interested in them. I have issues with anything slimy that looks like snot.

What size tank do you have, and what kind of load, that you do this thorough cleaning every 5-7 months? Trying to get an idea of how often it may be beneficial to me. I'm nuts about a clean tank so I'd likely do it too often. I did it once and had an algae bloom for about 3 days that about drove me insane because it interfered with my clean water....made it look bad!

I like the look of deep, dark substrate. Mine is small gravel, black, about 3"-4" deep....so I guess that's ripe for a lot of crud to hang out. My water parameters are currently good.

I'll check out what kind of algae I have. It is medium to dark brown...not hairy, fuzzy, or slimy....is just looks like whatever it is on has just gotten dirty.

Zambize

11 posts • Page 1 of 2