mineral blends

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

amadeo

mineral blends

by amadeo

i just payed 100 $ on a whole set of mineral blends . the LFS swore by them . and said that i should use the whole set weekly .

theres 1- flourine - iodine 2- strontium- barium 3- iodate- iodide- 4 - Strontium 5- calcium 6- magnesium and 7- a pH Buffer .

are they necessary or did i Just waist a 100 bucks

schigara

by schigara

They are are useful and over time some deplete faster than others. Calcium and Alk buffer deplete the fastest.

You should always use a test kit for anything you are adding. If you have no Idea how much is in the water, then how would you know if anything is needed.

The first 3 you listed are usually maintained well just through water changes alone. The test kits for the first 3 are also quite expensive and most hardcore SPS keepers don't test or dose them. They rely on water changes.

Ca, Alk and Mag are the only 3 you need to test and possibly dose.

Are you going to be keeping LPS and SPS corals?

amadeo

by amadeo

on the back of all the bottles it said to use weekly as did the LFS. and are very healthy for corals . i still dont have corals but if its useful for the corals than my live rock will like it. i didnt test the water. does any one use the minerals . or can i do without ( ill finish what i have and just do water changes is enough? )

schigara

by schigara

Check out the link below. Everything you could ever want or not want to know about reef aquarium chemistry.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/s ... did=102605

mineral blends

4 posts