Saltwater newbie

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Cross6236

Saltwater newbie

by Cross6236

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say howdy all. I use to have a 55 gal. freshwater setup. Things have changed so much since i've have an aquarium,so many different features(sumps, built-in overfolws, powerheads, lighting). I hope all of you can steer me in the right direction!

The tank i'm thinking of getting is 90 gal w/option for a biult-in overflow. I have no idea what kind of lighting, pumps,skimmer and heater are needed. I'm wanting to go with live rock and sand.

schigara

by schigara

Welcome to the forum, Cross!

Depending on if you want to keep coral(most do eventually) and what type of coral, it's hard to give advice on lighting. Are you handy, and can do some basic install and wiring? If so you could save some cash and do your own lighting with retrofit kit and components.

As far as skimmers go, I think the Reef Octopus and the ASM line of skimmers are the best bang for buck and a skimmer is absolutely necessary for all but the hardcore, who think total nutrient export should be achieved in other ways(not many).

For a heater, as far as I think, a titanium element with remote controller is the only way. Steer clear of glass and plastic heaters which are prone to breaking. Remote controllers can also stick and overheat a tank but it's much more likely that a glass element will break or an all-in-one will "stick" and do damage.

For circulation, this is a big subject. There are numerous ways to do closed loops or in tank pumps.

The biggest deciding factor is, if you will eventually do soft coral, large polyp stony coral or small polyp stony coral or a mix of all.

Give us an idea of what you might end up doing with the system.

Cross6236

by Cross6236

Hey schgara thanks of the info. I viewed your user profile. It almost looks like the one i'm wanting to buy. The pic with the stand door open gives me little better understanding of how thing need to be set up. Yes you were right. Eventually I would like to go with coral, but what kind I'm not sure! Haven't gave that much thought.

schigara

by schigara

Check out Mark Melev's site. Link below. This dude is a pro and has tons of info on his site covering every aspect of saltwater reefs.

http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html

Saltwater newbie

4 posts