Pleco's changing color?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spraky1413

Pleco's changing color?

by spraky1413

Went in to feed the fish dinner and my rubberlip was almost white. I know that stress makes their color change, but he's been in the tank for almost a month now. I checked the levels in my tank and they're all normal. He's slightly darker now, but still very pale. He isn't moving much.

Suggestions?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Many fish seem to change color for a variety of reasons. The first Kuhli loach I got lost most of the color in his bands because I didn't have many hiding places for him and the light I was using actually washed his color out. It's now 6 months later after a change of lighting, and decor and I can still EASILY pick him apart from the other two.

My Dwarf Puffer seems to darken when stressed or aggrivated from 'teasing' when feeding. He seems to get angry and impatient when I bring his bloodworms out in a shotglass and set it in front of the tank to thaw, and his color noticably darkens. He was permanently dark for several days when he nearly died from what I think was an ich infection in the gills. Tetras of all varities seem to 'dim' when the tank is dark and slowly regain color after the lights have been turned on.

My striped Raphael Cats have yellow bands that intensify to a bright white when they seem stressed.

I'm really not sure what this could mean on your pleco but I'm guessing there could be a variety of reasons, and I doubt it has anything to do with example #1.

spraky1413

by spraky1413

He's moving around more, but he is still really pale. I have to idea whats going on. Poor lil guy

spraky1413

by spraky1413

Nvm about the last post. Just went in to get something from my room and he was floating upside down in the tank stiff as a board...

=(

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

My gold nugget will change colors if the tank was dark and then I turn the light on. He is usually black with gold spots, but when the light comes, he is almost see-through light tan and will gradually get darker as he adjusts to the light being on.

spraky1413

by spraky1413

thats what my other pleco does, or if he's stressed. My rubberlip might have gotten sick or something, he died.

sad day

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

sorry about your pleco.

gumbii

by gumbii

i was just about to post that he's gonna die... oh well...

sorry for your loss... how's your water params right now...???

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Sorry he didn't make it. =\

spraky1413

by spraky1413

Tthey're all normal, I think I found him shortly after he died. The other fish seem to be doing fine; happy and healthy.

Pleco's changing color?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2