seahorses everyone!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

seahorses everyone!

by singapore

my friend down the street is moving and needs to get rid of his seahorses within the next 3 months. ive seen the suckers and they are amzing. some are plain brown and black ones. but others are amazingly bright orange/yellow brazillian ones. i really want them, especially since they are freeeeeee!!! my question is: in a 55gal tank. could i house a few seahorses with my oc. clown, a small 6-line wrasse, a blue damsel, and an engineer goby? my friend said they eat frozen mysis regularly with no trouble, just like i feed my fish. but the guy @ my LFS said he wasnt sure it would work because the damsel and maybe the wrasse would out-compete the seahorses for the food. and the damsel may even nip at them. any opinions? i am willing to target feed them if necessary.

singapore

by singapore

by the way, they are larger seahorses, some are 3-4 inches, others are over 7 inches!

snowboss

by snowboss

what about the tank they are in now? - -also i think you hit the nail on the head.....feeding compitition is going to be your biggest issue, they are very peaceful slow moving creatures.................if you have 3 months you could get another tank cycled for them by then....no?

also....if you don't mind me asking where you are in NY i'm be interested in some of them if you don't take them or take all of them...but i'd need to know pretty quick so i could get a tank cycled up for em ....................Snowboss

{I'm 40 miles straight south of Albany}

singapore

by singapore

im in corning. its about 60 miles...east maybe?... from binghamton...

i couldt get another tank cycled, but my mom wont let me have anymore tanks in the house. . . thats the bad part about being 17....

but i really want them. he paid $175 for the pair of orange ones, and $40 each for all the brown and black ones. all in all, almost $350 dollars woth of seahorses for free. i may try one of the browns for a start, and if that goes well...i may get the rest...

but if it doesnt start eating, then i will give it back to my friend before it dies. and tell him that you are interested snowboss.

seahorses everyone!

4 posts