Use a sump or not on reef tank

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Just started my reef tank and I'm finding out how expensive this hobby can become. I would like to know if I should use a sump or not? I did not buy a protein skimmer yet because I do not know which kind to buy (HOT or in sump). Also are the ones that sit in the sump more quiet than the HOT type. I am looking at the HOT AquaC Remora Pro unit. My tank is now 3 weeks old and still going through the cycle stage so no fish or coral to worry about. All my tank info is on my profile

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

G - there are many opinions pro sump, pro canister and pro HOB - - I presantly use a large HOB filter on my 20 long tank and I'll be setting uo a 65 by the end of the month....it came with a sump so I'll be useing a sump.........................I have been looking at this filter set u for a long time and I'm thinking real hard about it for my 20, wich is becomeing a hard core reef.......

http://www.petsolutions.com/Rapids-Pro- ... 5+C19.aspx

..soon to be MH light upgrades etc etc......the only advise i can giive is the better the filter the happier you'll be....lights, skimmer and filters are NOT the areas to cut corners on in a salt system ..........i have a red sea prizm HOB skimmer running on the 20 and the current light fan is louder than it is {unless it picks something nasty up, then she grinds for a bit, lol}

But you have a very good start on your tank, nice amount of rock and sand and nice lights.......if a good skimmer is out of reach , wait a coupe weeks or a month, i promise you'll be happier down the road................and again there is no right or wrong filter system, money vs. your willingness to service it are the key factors....JUST GO BIG........lol and don't forget some power heads down the road, curent is important especially for corals.....good luck and welcome to the addiction,

Snowboss

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Snowboss: Thanks for the reply. I just installed 2 Hydor Koralia 2 power heads (350 gph), but after I turned them on I realized they were not powerful enough for the size tank I have. I am thinking of getting a Hydor Koralia 3 or 4 which moves 850 gph or 1200 gph. I wish I purchased them at a local pet supply store so I could take the smaller ones back. I guess I will have to find a use for them. To get back to the original question about a sump. I have an old 10 gal tank I am willing to mod. as a sump. Do you think that is big enough for a 55 gal tank?

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

i have a 40 long underneath my tank i have always been told the biger you can make the sump the better add a refigium to it too so mincase you need to raise ceopods and other stuff but def go big also the water volume that it adds is good too

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i agree...bigger is better in this case......a 10 gallon tank is pretty small...........i would use a 30 at least............then you have some room for syphon issues or over flows....in the 10.......................you will have no roomfor any errors...........also....a skimmer a couple pumps, wall plates and filter media will stuff a 10 pretty quick........................Boss

5 posts