new idea plywood tank pond liner no epoxy

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

will it work

yes
100%
no
No votes

Total votes : 1

kolp88

by kolp88

i was looking around online and averybody making plywood tanks uses epoxy. i've looked here in lexington,KY for epoxy safe for fish and had no luck. so i was thinking about what i could use and pond liner pop in my head. epoxy is just paint plastic and a pond liner is already elastic, hard, fish safe. so just make a plywood box with 2x4 beams and a front frame for you glass. cut the pond liner in the sizes you need and glue them to the inside of the box on all sides. then use silicone on all the inside edges. glue in glass and fill it up. I HAVE NOT BUILD THIS but i'm thinking of just jumping in soon. my plan is a 359 gallon tank 96"x48"x18" or 8'x4'x18" with glass 6mm........does anybody think this is a good idea or fit it will work?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

http://youtube.com/watch?v=raaT6FIKVz8

Thats a video on making a koi pond with liner, but if you plan on using glass how are you planning on attaching this glass with a liner, won't it cover up the glass?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Kolp,
I am in the planing stages of a DIY plywood monster myself...........i can't say for sure that your idea won't work, ..........my concern would be getting it to fit into the square box {try lining a cardboard box with a bed sheet} now multiply it by 1000...lol...........my question would be the flolded areas, rock scuffing, asthetics? if you do do it make sure you put something in all the corners so that the weight of the water doesn't stress the rubber there.............

I contacted a local pool builder and he is checking the specs on epoxy pool liner and said if it will work i can get everything ready and he would come a shoot it for me for like 200 bucks..............my tank is going to be 6 feet wide 3 feet tall and 3 feet deep with the glass being 28 inches tall and 5foot wide

I'm keeping the glass smaller than the tank so i can put powerheads on the front side of the tank without having to look at them {I hate seeing equipment, but thats just me} .............anyway...keep in touch, I'd love to share expieriences Snowboss

kolp88

by kolp88

you cut the liner in 4 sheets the bottom, back ,and the 2 sides. glue the sheets to the inside plywood one at a time. the front frame is open. then put in the glass and glue all the edges of the sheet to make it wat poof.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

thats a lot of seems to worry about................I live right in the middle of Murfysville - -if it can happen - - it will happen to me, lol

I think the epoxy is the way to go....but i like the thought process behind your idea....i've been thinking about useing the rubber pond liner on the bottom and maby up the sides a little as added "padding" to protect against rocks scratching and rubbing a leak into the epoxy....remember all the standard weights and pressure forces are to the extreames in tanks the size we are talking about, so everything needs to be overbuilt for sure

Boss

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

This-stuff-in-my-experience-will-put-up-with-rocks-and-people-walking-on-it.

6 posts