Skimmer not working

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Deltasigpony3648

Skimmer not working

by Deltasigpony3648

my protien skimmer use to make like a cup of skimmate like wevery 4 days and now it put out like a tea spoon if that a day whats with it should i clean the sucker and see if that the problem or what

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

i am actually having the same issue, ever since i put my skimmer in the sump it doesnt collect like it used to. when i clean it, it gets a good amount for like the first day, then its back to slow pace skimming. im wondering if the water level in the sump has something to do with it

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

are you guys skimming prefilter or post filter?

also.....you might just have a clean tank...LOL.............

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

well this is how my sump is set up it goes inlet form top tank into the first chamber filled with live rock and some live macro algae and then through some baffles in to what could be my refrigium (just filled with a sand bed and some live rock and live macro algae then over a wall where my skimmer/carbon/return pump back to top tank thats how i have had it running for a long time. i have been thinking of setting up something where the skimmer pulls the watter from the top tank and returns it to the bottom or maybe the top kinda a closed loop system for skimming and hook up a uv up to it so it is perfect water... something like that

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i like the sounds of the closed loop system better........then theres no question weather the skimmer is getting pure tank water...........also alows you to service systems at different times without shutting the complete tank down

schigara

by schigara

makavel,

With the skimmer sitting in the sump, water level around the skimmer has a big influence on the water/air ratio. The higher the water surrounding the skimmer, the higher the water level inside the skimmer and the less air that can occupy the same space inside.

Also, the longer the skimmer runs non-stop, the more slime builds up on the impellar/needlewheel. After 3-4 days of non-stop running, my skimmer's foam head drops. I turn it off then back on a couple times and the foam head comes back up to normal level.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

alright, cuz i was thinking that maybe mine was too deep in the sump water, how should i go about fixing this ? should i try and find like a platform for the bottom of the sump to raise the skimmer? the way i built my sump doesnt allow me to lower the water level where the skimmer sits

schigara

by schigara

You could make a platform from pvc to sit the skimmer on.

Recommended depths for in-sump skimmers are different for various skimmers but seems like 5-7 inch depth is about average.

I actually have the same problem with my Octopus NW200 skimmer. When I got it, I intended to modify it for recirculation and for it to sit out of sump. Instead, I got in a hurry and put it in the sump and just started using it. I neglected to consider the 12in tall bubble wall and hence the depth it would be sitting.

Needless to say, It doesn't perform nearly as well as it could if it were in 5inches of water.

I'm stuck though cause my stand won't allow me to raise it enough to make much of a difference and getting the skimmer out of the sump requires sliding my 55g sump out one end of the stand. Very poor planning on my part.

It does work well enough though to keep my nitrates below 5ppm in conjunction with a 15g Macro refugium and 29g Xenia refugium.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

nice, the reef octopus is going to be my next skimmer, ive been looking at them for a few months now, and every tank at my lfs uses one. i guess ill get some more acrylic cut and build a little platform inside the sump, now that im thinking about it, i think it said the head needed to be submerged about 4" but that was the instuctions for h-o-b, i guess its the same for in-sump. thanx for the advise

Skimmer not working

9 posts