GROWING coralean INFO ?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree with donavan for small tanks i would use a 2 part calcium / alkalinity. i would check your calcium. stop adding every thing else{small amounts of iodine} but test your water outside of basic test kits

stavy

by stavy

get a calcium reactor for a 250 gallon tank and apply purple up every other day or so. and then WAIT. you'll soon see the magic happen

angus4481

by angus4481

iv been doin saltwater for 5 years, the first 3 years i had no coraline and got pissed. Well thats what i got the salt setup for, color. 2 years ago i started testing. i ran a 30 gal with normal sp 0.021, i put 10lb lr in and tested. About 5 weeks into it i had blue and purple dominating. i found out you need a heavy growth of green algea to grow coraline. i found out the best way to grow the green algea in salt(with out a bloom), is to add doses of freshwater plant ferilizer. just 1 dose the first week, and wait bout 4 weeks and add anouther. the purple and deep turquois will eat the green algea. once you see the coroline covering a few rocks stop adding the fert, the coroline will take over. make sure you watch the ph.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

what ??? plant fertilizer full of nitrogen+phosphates stuff like that . i dont know if i would do that ... never heard of that with perfect water and the right lights you should have coraline in 3 to 4 months ...what is the long term effect of plant fertilizer and coral growth/ health. sounds like a disaster to me..

angus4481

by angus4481

so far its worked for me. i do normal waterchanges, and check levels, truthfuly i haven't had any major problems. like i said, ph is the only thing realy effected, and it wasn't dramatic. the stuff i use is Plant Gro, im not trying to screw anyone over with bad advice. im just saying it worked for me.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

unless you are a water chemist you have no way of testing what you are putting into your water{out side of basic test kits} .... read the back of the fertilizer bottel and tell me how many of the ingredients make up saltwater.. i mabie wrong .... but i think plant gro has no place in any saltwater tank... if you find a artical on this theroy post it i would love to read.....

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

absolutley, use the B-ionic calcium and alkalinity components along with purple up, the purple up is just concentrated calcium, it must already be living on rocks or glass, without good water quality it wont work. also buy new live rock that is covered in coralline and i gurantee it works. upgrade your lights also, shoot for atleast 5 watts per gallon. i started growing coralline two weeks into cycling my tank using b-ionic, but no matter what it will take time to spread, remember...only bad things happen fast in this hobby
Last edited by makavelithedon963941 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree with 2 pac

GROWING coralean INFO ?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2