HELP WITH MY 55 GAL

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Deltasigpony3648

HELP WITH MY 55 GAL

by Deltasigpony3648

Ok so i started a salt water tank like 4 weeks ago and i think its doing great but just looking for some more advice.

1) tank setup : i have a 75 gal powerhead for the top part of the tank and a 55 gal one for the bottom so there should not be any dead spots. I got a 4 x 65 watt light 2 x 10000k white and 2 x actinic and I got 100 gal protein skimmer.

2) Live rock: 20lbs of live sand, 40lbs of live rock

3) Invertebrates: 2 x red leg hermit crab, 3 x emerald crab, 2 x turbo snail, 10 x very small blue leg hermit crab, coral banded srimp, and some other crab.

4) Fish: 2 x half blue half yellow damsel, yellow cromis, 2 x scooter blenny, and some golby my girlfriend bought.

I know I got a little impatient with the fish buying but I have a really good fish store guy that helps me out a lot so i felt comfortable buying the cheep stuff. But what i want to know is can i start getting some cool plants and fish now?

bdub38

by bdub38

Before I would add anything spectacular or something 20 dollars or more, I would definitely make sure that my tank is completely cycled. Check the ammonia levels, nitrite levels, and nitrate levels to make sure that it has cycled properly. If the nitrite and ammonia are down to 0, and the nitrates are below 40 ppm or so, you should be fine. Good luck with your tank!

Deltasigpony3648

by Deltasigpony3648

thanks for the reply I'm actually in the process of building a custom acrylic sump 45 gallons or so, I just need to save the money up the cost for me is going to be around 150

bdub38

by bdub38

No problem, I noticed after that it was like a few months too late, haha. Sorry about that. I figured the tank had cycled but didn't delete incase it helps some one else. Good luck!

HELP WITH MY 55 GAL

4 posts